Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeycrisp in Northern IL When leaf out?

Posted by gto66 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 14:28

When should a Honeycrisp tree start to leaf out in Northern Illinois? My Jonathan apple and peach tree are wide awake now.
I would hope that it survived our longer than usual winter this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeycrisp in Northern IL When leaf out?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 14:34

It can't be short on chilling.....;-) But it might be short on heat to get it going. My Honeycrisp was late leafing but down here it could be due to lack of chilling.

How far north are you? I grew up around Belvidere. My Mom has some apples there but not Honeycrisp.

o

Libertyville close to the Cheddar Curtain.

o

Looks like I spoke too soon. This afternoon there is light green showing inside of the red buds. Finally!

o

My Honeycrisp here in eastern Wisconsin (Zone 5a) is still dormant. Meanwhile Cortland just hit green tip yesterday & today. I think it will be a couple more weeks before I see anything on Honeycrisp. It is a mid-to-late variety with respect to bloom, and then early-to-mid with respect to harvest in autumn. Cortland is the opposite it seems. My Sweet 16 is also dormant and seems to have almost identical pattern to Honeycrisp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here