Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
who has used bay laurel?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 14:32

Has anyone used Bay Laurel nursery for fruit trees? They seem to have a decent selection.

The only thing I see as potentially problematic is they have a very early shipping cutoff date, sometime in early March. I could live with that here, as long as the ground isn’t mucky, but my guess is they don’t do cold-storage of their dormant stock.

Anyone got experiences w/them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: who has used bay laurel?

I ordered a pomegranate and jujube last year from them. Both are leafing out now, although the pom looked bad when it arrived. That pom may just have been going into dormancy as it was an earlier fruiting variety...

o

They're great, have used them quite a bit. Their cutoff is early because they're in California, and for us, things "wake up" a bit earlier. Very reputable company and a pleasure to work with.

Patty S.

o

I ordered from them for the first time this year. As you say, they ship in March which was way too early for me. The trees had to be potted but I couldn't even do that when they arrived because of a blizzard. What I received was labeled as either L.E.Cooke or Dave Wilson.

I was not happy with the bare root berries, but I did not read that they were bare root, which was clearly stated on their website. I got potted blueberries from Wilson so the bare root berries from Cooke did not look to be nearly the quality. I guess only time will tell.

I will, from now on, as much as possible, order from nurseries that are closer to my zone. It's just not possible to plant once they arrive if they ship before April.

I asked that the trees not be topped and they did not top them. They put them in quite a large box for me.

o

I have had overly pruned roots from them, as in 3" stubs only. Now I usually order my Dave Wilson trees through Sanhedrin. Sanhedrin is smaller but I have been happier. Planting in March is usually fine in Maryland.

Scott

o

Scott,

Come to think of it I believe it was you who suggested I ask them not to trim the roots or top them. They told me sometimes they come that way from the grower so they couldn't guarantee that they would not be trimmed but none of them looked to have been trimmed.

o

I've ordered from them twice and way happy both times. Nice trees at reasonable prices packaged well and shipped on time. Who could ask for more.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 19:38

I like them as well. Sometimes the trees have been bigger than I like. This results in fruiting wood starting higher than I like but not really that high. As my back gets older I'll probably like the higher fruit. Otherwise no complaints after about 10 years. The only tree I lost was one I cut back too low. I got a new tree and still have the rootstock to bud to soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here