Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit tree hole

Posted by Venom21 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 14:34

Hello,

ive ordered a few fruit trees online. they came lookign great, but now its time to plant them. i have some topsoil that looks kinda clay like. what could i throw in there to improve its quality. another question. the root ball is approximately 8 inches wide. is it bad if i dig a hole taht is like 2-3 feet diameter and 2 feet deep so long as i dont plant the tree deep? there are many rocks in my soil here so i was thinking it wouild be a good idea to dig deeper and get them out for the tree to have adequate root space once it does start growing out. i would tamp the soil down providing enough space for the actual root ball to to be a few inches above ground. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit tree hole

Dig only as deep as the rootball is high. If you dig deeper, the tree is guaranteed to settle in spite of your efforts. (Don't bother asking how I know that.)

If you want to dig deeper, make certain the rootball sits on a "pedestal" of undisturbed soil.

o

• Posted by nobueno Boulder, CO 5a (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 20:17

one way i solve that is to mound it up. if it settles some it won't end up any lower than the soil around it.

o

thats what i was figuring. i would dig 2ft to make sure all the rocks were removed, fill it up maybe even stomp it down a big and then even put it on a mound so when it does settle it would still be above ground.

is it ok to make the hole between 2.5-3ft wide? or is that too much?

o

I've mostly heard the hole should be about twice the size of the root ball and dug more like a shallow bowl instead of a deep cylinder shape. Brady

o

I do it like this....

o

Yes,that's a good diagram.Then the roots can more easily spread and grow. Brady

o

If you are interested in a more complex set of guidelines this one is thorough and well illustrated. I disagree rather strongly about their suggestion of not mulching over the root ball itself, however, and believe it's based on faulty research (any research I disagree with must be faulty!).

Here is a link that might be useful: the science of planting trees

o

I bookmarked these descriptions for planting. Excellent! Mrs. G

o

would adding leaf compost to teh hole be a good idea?

o

would adding leaf compost to teh hole be a good idea?

o

Is the leaf compost aged well?Leaf compost or leaf mold will add water retention properties,makes the soil structure better and helps organisms,like earthworms and favorable bacteria. Brady

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 0:56

Put the leaf compost on top when you are done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here