Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawanddisorder

New fruit trees and berry bushes

lawanddisorder
11 years ago

I've wanted a garden and fruit trees/bushes for a few years, but live in a rental home and didn't want to plant them on the rental property just to move out a year or two later and have to leave the plants there start over at my new house.

Well, last year, I said screw it, and bought a seedless concord grape plant and a peach tree and put them in big container pottings and they survived the cold Cleveland winter without any problem.

Now, over the past few weeks, I went a little overboard and ordered blueberry, blackberry, boysenberry and raspberry bushes, two more peach trees, a 4 in 1 apple tree (w/ red mcintosh, red spy, red delicious, and yellow delicious), a brown turkey fig tree, two paw paw trees, an Illinois Everbearing Mullberry Tree, and a 2 in 1 Pear Tree (w/ Bartlett and Red Sensation), along with strawberries and an assortment of herbs.

All are planted in large containers, so hopefully when I move out of the rental property, I can take them with me. I am planning on training the trees into espalier form.

The peach and grape from last year look healthy and have plenty of buds and flowers, and my questions are:

1. Are there any fungicides or insecticides I should purchase to prevent any diseases or ailments to the plants?

2. Is there any specific fertilizer or hormone to increase fruit production?

3. Is there anything I should be worried about or anything I will want to monitor as it relates to them all being in containers?

Any information would be much appreciated, and if it is specific to a certain plant, please let me know which one!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• pinc06
    11 years ago

I go off the deep end too. I sure understand.

My main comment is that Pawpaws are a deep taprooted plant. While I have kept several very small ones alive in pots for a couple years, they are just treading water waiting to go to someone in trade. They will never thrive and grow in a pot no matter how big. Even my little ones have sent a tap root out the bottom that I will have to snip off when they move on. But pawpaws are very hard to bring to life from dormant bare root so small pot now is my only option.

good luck with all your fun stuff.

Pam in cinti

• sjkly
    11 years ago

For all of your berries, you want to check and make sure you got self pollinating varieties or got two varrieties of each that are good polinators for each other.

For blueberries, you will need to make sure you keep the soil acidic or you won't get much in the way of berries.

My blueberries did great in containers though so I think you will be fine with them as long as the soil stays acidic.

• lawanddisorder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sjkly,

I have been using an organic potting soil safe for food use, but haven't even considered the PH levels. I am going to check the soil ph level and adjust if necessary.

Do you know of any simple home remedies to increase soil acidity? Maybe some used coffee grounds?

Thanks!

• lawanddisorder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinc06,

Thanks a lot for that comment. The pawpaws have been ordered, but not delivered and planted yet, so I am going to find two really deep pots (the type often used as a decorative pot with long bamboo or something sticking out). Hopefully this will allow more room for the tap roots. I can always bury the bottom half of the pot...

Thanks!

• fireduck
    11 years ago

L...you are getting some good advice! On the blueberries...gardening/soil sulphur is good to increase acidity. Also, camelia fertilizer and adding vinegar to the water helps temporarily. GL

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Your Peach trees are probably going to need to be sprayed to help keep Peach Leaf Curl at bay.Either Copper or something with Chlorothalonil in it,I used the Bonide brand on a Nectarine and just a little PLC is showing.
    Peat moss will help acidify the planting mix for Blueberries and the Pawpaws.
    A simple framework or trellis can be made for the brambles,maybe something circular and fixed in the potting mix for the canes to be wrapped onto.
    Here is also a video about keeping the Mulberry at a manageable size. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Trees into Bushes

• abz5b
    11 years ago

My peach trees have to be sprayed with a fungicide a few times per year. copper is what i use, but there are others you can use to combat PLC (Peach leaf curl)

• abz5b
    11 years ago

Blackberries and raspberries can do well in pots as well. I keep some in 3-5 gallon pots although for long term use bigger the pot the better.