Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3rd year of drought in N.M.

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 14:42

I was reading this article today. Anyone from N.M. care to put their own spin on it? Are we headed for another dust bowl?

Here is a link that might be useful: More tough choices ahead for farmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3rd year of drought in N.M.

I can only speak for my area of North Central NM (Santa Fe area) and say that it is definitely a very bad drought, but by the numbers nothing this area has not seen before. The typical historical pattern has been a wet decade followed by a dry decade, followed by a wet one again, so the question is how dry will the next 7 years be? And how wet will the following decade be after that?

The question about the dust bowl is probably relevant only to the Eastern Plains of the state, but hopefully the absence of the same kind of destructive agricultural practices of the early 1900's will keep things in check.

But the long range forecasts are not quite as dire as the article suggests. For the first time next month, NM is NOT included in the "less than average precip" in the long range forecast maps. Not that this thing will go away anytime soon, but I am hopeful that the remainder of 2013 will be wetter anyway.

I'm definitely praying for a good monsoon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here