Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodelo

Cross Pollination of Japanese Plum Trees

Wendy Johnston
10 years ago

I bought two Japanese plums from a local nursery, specifically trying to both support local plant people as well as to rely on their expertise.

I was sold two trees, Satsuma and Peach Plum. To make a long story short, at the moment Satsuma has been absolutely covered in blooms which are just beginning to fall. Meanwhile, the Peach Plum has yet to bloom.

There will be no cross pollinating with these two, and I am filled with grr.

I have been able to locate cross pollinators for Satsuma, but no matter where I search (here and the web) I get no definitive "Peach Plum". All I know is that it blooms late in the season. Any help with this for a beginning orchardist will be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• Wendy Johnston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tag which came on the tree simply says Peach Plum. I hope that it is self fruitful, as I am irritated that I need to buy another for Satsuma. This would have been a good first harvest year for that tree, I am hoping that if I get a pollinator for Satsuma in the ground this year perhaps it will bloom enough that I will get some fruit this year. I will be crossing my fingers that my Peach Plum bears fruit this year! Thank you for responding.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

according to bylands nursery peach plum is a European plum. all I can find about it with a uick Google.

if satsuma is a pure Japanese strain then choose another Japanese plum which blooms at the same time.... if it happens to be a cross with prunus nigra then you need to try to get a pure p nigra tree according to the u or Saskatchewan.

• greendumb
    10 years ago

Keep your fingers crossed that there is something nearby that was in bloom at the same time. Bees cover a pretty good distance and you could have been pollinated. Time will tell when your fruit starts to swell and shows the signs of being pollinated.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Agree!
    If its the same peach plum as I have, [think its Japanese, Euro would be self fertile] then you might have to wait for a long time as me,..it took about 8 years,..think the wild American plum did the pollination.

{{gwi:85420}}

In wet years its prone to shot hole disease

{{gwi:85421}}

• Wendy Johnston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sadly, neither tree fruited last year, so I am trying to decide which trees would be best for cross pollinating at least the Satsuma. I read both glowing and meh opinions on Beauty, Elephant Heart and Methley, I am leaning toward Hollywood or Santa Rosa.

With regard to the peach plum I suppose I will give it time; it has value to me in that it is always loaded with blossoms, and, well, tree, right? I intend to put in a nectarine and an apricot, so if pollination is the issue perhaps that will solve that issue.

I would love some feedback as to my choices, I don't know if the new forum format indicated location, I am in north western Washington state.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you're leaning towards Santa Rosa, that would be an excellent pollinator of your Satsuma. I love(!) Satsuma plums, my very favorite! Santa Rosa plum is really nice too, both are very sweet, with the typical tart Japanese plum skin. Santa Rosa is a really good pollinator for many Japanese plums, so it's nice to have anyway, in case you wish to get more JPs in the future.

Beauty is a good pollinator also.

Btw, just wondering, do you have Japanese plums in your area already growing? I think these need a good deal of summer heat to have the best flavor. If you have enough heat in you should be fine, but if you are close to the coast they may be more bland than they would be in a hotter climate. If you have neighbors who are growing them successfully and they like the flavor, then you're probably fine.

• mrcaballus_usda9b_ca
    9 years ago

My Late Santa Rosa is my most prolific producer, and the earliest bloomer. (It's currently at about 30% bloom, and the other plums are at around 5%) I'm a fan. :)

• skyjs
    9 years ago

Jodelo,
    Hollywood, Methley, Beauty, and Satsuma are highly rated for ecotopia. My Hollywood broke branches due to heavy fruit load, so I had to move it out of full sun to part sun, where it is still loaded but no longer breaking branches.

JOhn S
    PDX OR