Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross Pollination of Japanese Plum Trees

Posted by jodelo NWWa. (johnston.wendyjo@gmail.com) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 14:53

I bought two Japanese plums from a local nursery, specifically trying to both support local plant people as well as to rely on their expertise.

I was sold two trees, Satsuma and Peach Plum. To make a long story short, at the moment Satsuma has been absolutely covered in blooms which are just beginning to fall. Meanwhile, the Peach Plum has yet to bloom.

There will be no cross pollinating with these two, and I am filled with grr.

I have been able to locate cross pollinators for Satsuma, but no matter where I search (here and the web) I get no definitive "Peach Plum". All I know is that it blooms late in the season. Any help with this for a beginning orchardist will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross Pollination of Japanese Plum Trees

Is it a "tri-lite" peach plum? If so it's mostly peach and self fruitful. I have one and it's loaded every year.

o

The tag which came on the tree simply says Peach Plum. I hope that it is self fruitful, as I am irritated that I need to buy another for Satsuma. This would have been a good first harvest year for that tree, I am hoping that if I get a pollinator for Satsuma in the ground this year perhaps it will bloom enough that I will get some fruit this year. I will be crossing my fingers that my Peach Plum bears fruit this year! Thank you for responding.

o

according to bylands nursery peach plum is a European plum. all I can find about it with a uick Google.

if satsuma is a pure Japanese strain then choose another Japanese plum which blooms at the same time.... if it happens to be a cross with prunus nigra then you need to try to get a pure p nigra tree according to the u or Saskatchewan.

o

Keep your fingers crossed that there is something nearby that was in bloom at the same time. Bees cover a pretty good distance and you could have been pollinated. Time will tell when your fruit starts to swell and shows the signs of being pollinated.

o

Agree!
If its the same peach plum as I have, [think its Japanese, Euro would be self fertile] then you might have to wait for a long time as me,..it took about 8 years,..think the wild American plum did the pollination.

Aug. 27. 09 photo IMG_4504_1_1.jpg

In wet years its prone to shot hole disease

photo IMG_0023_2_zps9b2eaace.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here