Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two pawpaws (Asimina triloba) one hole

Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 15:00

Has anyone had success growing two pawpaws (Asimina triloba) in one hole?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two pawpaws (Asimina triloba) one hole

I'm not sure it's a good idea with Pawpaws. Mine have lots of pups I need to keep clearing out, and if two were planted together I don't think I could keep up. Every year there is a least 6-8 pups. Hard to dig up too. Second pawpaw I planted I took the time to add huge flat rocks into a box shape in the hole around the tree. That tree grew much more quickly, and produced fruit sooner than my other prolific one,

Pam in cinti

o

I assume your purpose would be cross-pollination? If so, you might accomplish that objective by topworking (grafting) a second variety into the tree after the first tier of laterals is established by the first variety. And if you're buying trees you'd only have to buy one tree, and then probably not pay any more than postage for someone on this forum to send you scion wood from a superior cultivar.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 20:03

By pups are you talking about seedlings, suckers, or something else?

The talk of lining the hole with rocks makes me think you mean root suckers.

o

I don't think root suckers would be any worse if there were two in one hole.

Grafting pawpaws can be challenging so I would not suggest that unless you have grafting experience.

I would suggest putting them about 4' apart. They are somewhat fragile trees and they are less happy being pruned into whatever shape is needed for a very close planting. I never tried any closer than 4' so it may work better than I expect.

Scott

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:11

Thanks for the suggestions. Unless I find someone how has good success planting two pawpaws 2 ft or less apart I'll plant mine 6 ft apart. I'm not experienced with topwork grafting but would like to try it at a later date.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here