Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Netting [hole size] for fruit pest fly on the small fruit

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 15:01

Last year I wrapped two bushes of the black currant with a fleece material or row cover, it worked wonderful but think I can improve on it with a small hole netting to improve light under the cover and air circulation.
Just wondering if any of you is using this and what min. hole size it should be?

I was thinking one could get what is commonly known as mosquito netting used in many countries when sleeping, could be bought fairly cheep I would think, ..but would it work for smaller flies? My wife thinks no.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Netting [hole size] for fruit pest fly on the small fruit

I'd be thinking about the floating row cover material. That has very small holes and has a very good light environment underneath. There are several weights with corresponding light levels. I think it would keep out even those spotted wing fruit flies but could be wrong. It also comes in various widths.

o

Unless they come from the ground, and work their way up. If the affected fruit drops the larvae burrows under ground and then returns exiting the earth in the same vicinity where the fruit landed. It will help against fliers though. Maybe a vinegar trap in conjunction? They helped against the drosophila, but we were infested, and got there too late.

o

Someone I know used tulle (bridal veil netting) last year on her cherry tree and she said it worked great against the cherry fruit fly. She stapled multiple lengths of the tulle together to make it wide enough to go over the tree, the tulle rips easy but she just staples it back together.

She spent about $40 on it, got it on sale at the fabric store.

o

I use a lot of tulle in the veg garden, and to keep birds from eating ripe berries. There are two types, and the slightly stretchy french tulle will last a bit longer but costs more. It has kept flea beetles off of eggplant, so pests that small can't get through it.

In terms of looks, you won't believe how much better olive green tulle looks compared to row cover. I've experimented with different colors, and olive green is the least obtrusive. I can easily hold a "bonnet" of tulle over a 6-foot tall blueberry bush by bunching it at the bottom and fastening it with clothespins.

First year experiment this year involves "bagging" apples in drawstring bags made from circles of tulle and thread. It looks way better than plastic bags, but it remains to be seen if it will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: tulle covers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here