Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low chill-hours = Peach drop?

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 15:03

I am guessing here but what looked like a solid peach year on my best tree ended up with near nothing. The tree was full of blooms a few weeks ago since they opened after our severe freeze in February, Everything looked good until yesterday. A lot of the tiny peaches were gone yesterday and the rest were gone today with the exception of three or four. Our chill hours this year are only around 600 for this warm winter. That is way below normal

It could have been squirrels but in the past they have waited for the peaches to get near ripe. We are in a severe drought so they could be looking for moisture.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low chill-hours = Peach drop?

The few peaches I've seen that didn't get enough chilling had late sparse bloom and even later leafing. Both the bloom and leafing were prolonged. Many leaf buds didn't push. So if you had an early compact bloom, it probably wasn't lack of chilling.

o

I agree with fruitnut it doesn't sound like lack of chill; I'd vote for squirrels jumping on the limbs and knocking them off.

Applenut

o

Thanks guys for the chill hour answer.

In the past years I have not had a problem with squirrels at this stage but with the drought may be pushing them. I will put out water for them to see if that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here