Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring is slow in France too!

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 15:09

Hi all. I can't wait to post some pics of the rudest pruning I have ever seen! Stump cuts with branches a diameter of six inches, easy! It appears many of the French grow their cherries on broom ends. Hmm. . . These were on cherry trees in the south of france between Avignon and Bonnieux. All of their new plantings of orchards seem to be columnar and the plantings are only approx. two feet apart. They prune almost all trees to about nine feet or shorter except for the cherries. All orchards are very well maintained without weeds and nicely mowed patches of grass in between rows. The fruit trees are in bloom. Very few apples, they are grown in a different region. Apricots, tons of plums, cherries, and pears. Stone fruit and grapes. They were getting the fields ready in Cavaillon for the melons. It never got into the 60's while we were there. Ooh la la, Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring is slow in France too!

Yeah..all of western Europe got colder since the 40ties or so.

>>are very well maintained without weeds<<
Perhaps not environmentally friendly,..using chemicals.

Highly labor intensive pruning required.

o

MrsG

Lucky! I want to go to France. My niece just got back from Spain (high school trip) and it was not warm there either. I think they had rain most of the time. It sure seems like the warmth must be over Russia or the Atlantic...Maybe Iceland is warm :)

o

MrsG,

Don't forget to drink the fine wines and try those excellent cheese. The Eiffel Tower was a neck braker!! Enjoy your trip.

Tony

o

Tony just returned, was there for over two weeks. The vino, never mindo! Most of the country acreage is filled with grapevines or orchards. I went to the area I love most. The orchards are breathtaking. Mrs. G good to be back, for a while!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:31

This sounds like a perfect place to visit, for a gardener. Thanks for the posts.

o

For April so far:

Paris, France hi temp: 77F low temp: 28F avg temp: 47F

La Crosse, WI hi temp: 59F low temp: 18F avg temp: 38F

Probably pretty ahead of here in terms of fruit development.

o

Only flowers, small leaves and buds in the south of France. They are behind in heat as we are for this time of year. Provence seems to have parallel weather to Newport, RI. Its interesting that I can grow everything they can except for excellent melons. They take more heat and sun and we have too much summer fog. I still plant 'Charentais' melon every summer. Mrs. G

o

Yeah...and to think I"m at the same latitude as Nice, France and they grow palm trees outside there ...not fair!

36F and raining here today...and there is about 2 inches of sleet on the ground.

I think summers here are hotter then most of France, for the most part... I doubt they see dew points in the 80Fs like we do now and then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here