Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galiana_gw

Spraying first year peach tree?

galiana
11 years ago

Howdy folks,

A few days ago I planted my very first fruit tree -- a dwarf Saturn peach. It was bareroot and hasn't broken dormancy yet (still a bit cold here in NH).

My question: should I spray my newly planted tree this year? If so, with what preparation, and with what frequency?

I try to grow organically, so I imagine that means I'd need to use copper sulfate. Is there anything less toxic but similarly effective? I live on a residential street with lots of children and animals, so that's a consideration for me.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• olpea
    11 years ago

You can use your copper for leaf curl, but that's all its good for. It is somewhat effective against bacterial spot, but I doubt that will be an issue for you in NH.

Copper has a good degree of safety, so if you are worried about children and pets, it's about the best thing you can use for leaf curl.

Probably the only insect in NH you'll have to deal with is plum curculio, and brown rot the only disease. Those are problems for bearing age trees, so I wouldn't worry about them this season.

By the way, you mentioned your Saturn is a dwarf. Do you know what rootstock it's on?

This post was edited by olpea on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 16:35

• fireduck
    11 years ago

G...dormant sprays are the single most important thing to do for peach trees. Keep in mind....since you have a dwarfing rootstock, you must water more often. There are no agressive roots to chase water great distances.

• lawanddisorder
    11 years ago

Do non-dormant sprays harm peach trees? I have a peach tree that I've had for a full year now and the buds have begun to show flowers underneath some and green leafy material under others. Can I spray it with the Copper Sulfate now? Do I need to avoid the budding flowers or green leafy growth?

Thanks!

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

I think you'll have to spray for borers too. They are in Maine, NH and MA. I have them in RI. Mrs. G

• galiana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@fireduck What should I spray on the tree while it's dormant? I've read a lot of conflicting information, and have no rational basis on which to make a decision, so I appreciate advice from people who have done this before.

@MrsG47 What do you use to deter borers?

• Lee.123
    11 years ago

I personally don't spray much until the 3rd or 4th year when normal fruiting occurs. I alternate neem oil and spinosad every 10 to 14 days. Spray the ground as we'll around the drip line of the tree.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I'm in SE NY and plant a new 50 or so peach trees and nectarines every year. I only spray peaches ever to protect fruit and to protect the collar of the trees from borers. Most sites peach leaf curl shouldn't be an issue with Saturn. What is hard with that variety is battling brown rot and having to thin so much to get decent sized fruit.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

I use a 'non-organic' pesticide called triazicide. You can purchase it in a small spray bottle, which would make your spraying quite accurate. Let it drip down the trunk of your tree. It will kill the borers and plum curculio if they are in your neighborhood. Since you only have one tree this should work.