Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a Tree Recommendation

Posted by Kirsten12 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 15:13

I'd like to plant a small (10-20') tree in our small front yard to provide visual interest as well as a bit of a filter from the morning sun directly into our living room windows. The soil is sandy clay, but well drained because it is on a hill. The spot is southern facing and gets full morning and early afternoon sun. The rest of the yard is fairly naturalized, with flagstone paths, rock retaining walls, and hundreds of bulbs, daylilies, irises, grasses, and azalea (I like a clean, structured aesthetic), but no actual "lawn."

My husband is allergic to apples, there's already a fig tree in the backyard, and a dozen blueberry bushes of varying heights already have assigned places (front and back yards) waiting for me to enrich the soil for a fall planting.I wanted a sour cherry tree, but the neighbors say that the deer will rip it apart, so it's going to go in the fenced backyard instead.

What should I plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a Tree Recommendation

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 16:51

Euro pears are good, although I've had deer rip a pear apart.

Deer will pretty much rut any new tree they have a mind to. I don't know that sour cherries are especially attractive to them for rutting.

They do like the foliage of sour cherries - as well as apples.

Either way, I'm not sure I'd base my planting decision on things the deer don't like, rather on fruit that I like.

o

I don't think that we have a problem with rutting- we're urban and the deer come from a local park, so I've never even seen a buck. I've seen does grazing on our front stairs, though, inches from the house. They're fat and bold, and love to pick all of the blooms right out of the garden. I don't really think that I can prevent them, just they apparently went crazy for my neighbor's sour cherry tree last year, and killed it.

We like pretty much everything, so it's really just finding a starting point.

o

Too bad your husband is allergic to apples because a crabapple with persisting fruit would seem to be a good option. I've seen a peach tree in someone's front yard and I wouldn't recommend that.as the fruit got messy and the blossoms on peach trees while nice are too small in my opinion. If a Euro pear doesn't work, how about an Asian pear? The Asian pear does favor a very upright growth habit (at least mine does) and that may or may not be up to your taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here