Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Orange tree Question

Posted by ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 15:15

I have a pineapple orange tree which i bought about 4 years ago,it has grown to about 5 ft. wide by 6 ft high, and this year i had to trim off some of the top because i did not want it to grow to high. The tree looks to be very strong and the leaves have a nice green color. Will this type of tree ever start to produce? if so, when can i start looking for buds? My other orange tree alwready has lots of flowers. Is the growing habit of the pineapple orange so much different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Orange tree Question

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 19:09

I assume you didn't trim the lower branches. My pineapple orange is flowering, but citrus can flower at different times from each other, each tree can be variable. Has the tree never flowered? I'm surprised it could make it in zone 8.

Gary

o

It has not flowered yet. And should i have trimed the lower branches?

o

Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 6:58

Just making sure you didn't prune the whole tree, and that being the reason it hasn't flowered. Its highly unusual that by now it didn't flower. Can you verify where the graft on the plant is, and that there isn't growth coming from below it? That's the only reason I could think of for it not to flower. That the rootstock (which was grown from seed) has taken over the plant.

Gary

o

dghays

Now wouldn't that be something? I will have to check it out. If so, it will be 4 years wasted.

o

Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 11:09

Here's an important tidbit. I've never witnessed it to this degree myself:

Citrus Often Inconsistent Bloomers
Posted on Mar 27, 2007 10:25:01 PM
Discuss This: Comments (0) : TrackBack (0) : Linking Blogs : Add to del.icio.us : Digg it
When it comes to citrus trees, gardeners are often optimists. The trees can grow as old as we do, yet we usually expect them to be producers at a very early age. The truth is citrus trees are often inconsistent bloomers.

Most likely some of the optimism and hope for the very first fruits come from trees that are purchased in containers, often with flowers and citrus present. Then, they are expected to continue the displays when planted in the ground. Most trees, however, do just the opposite and stop producing for several years.

You see, while they are in the containers, their roots are limited, growth is reduced and flowering is encouraged. Some of these blooms just naturally develop into fruits. When the tree is planted in your landscape, it is free to grow and seems to forget about flowering and fruiting for a while. Some new trees can go 5 to 7 years in your yard without a single bloom.

Actually, even if the trees do begin to flower early and set fruits, we suggest you pick these early citrus for the first three years. This is hard for many gardeners to do, but it results in larger trees that can bear a better crop later on. Also, many of the early fruits are atypical, being dry inside or having little flavor.

Now, even though a tree begins flowering and fruiting, it doesn't mean it's going to bear a bumper crop every year. One year might be heavy, and another might have few if any fruits. Don't get discouraged, as your tree is just resting and building up reserves to produce the next great crop. Your job is to continue normal care that includes the following:

Feed citrus trees over three years of age once in March, May, August and early October.
Apply a citrus fertilizer at the rate of 1/4 pound for each inch of tree circumference measured 6 inches above the ground.
Scatter the fertilizer under the spread of the branches and out past the drip line.
Water once or twice a week to maintain a moist soil during hot, dry weather.
Control pests only as needed; many can be tolerated.

o

dghays
Thank you for that great info.

o

My tree is approximately 2 years in the ground. It has never flowered or produced fruit. It is approx. 4 to 5 feet tall and about 4 feet wide. It looks healthy. Please let me know when I can expect fruit. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here