Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sad image of snow...

Posted by Dan.NY 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 15:17

Check the image in the link here. It was taken this morning about a half mile from my orchard. Its very depressing. I cant imagine thigns are going to survive this.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/dansvines/?action=view¤t=ohno.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sad image of snow...

That link didnt work for some reason. This one is working though:

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/dansvines/?action=view¤t=ohno.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow

o

Dan:

Does look ugly if there is fruit on those trees. But snow does not do direct damage, cold does. How cold do you expect and what stage are your trees?

o

At least the trees are not leafed out....leaves and wet snow are a bad combination.

o

Actually, I'd take a wet snow where temps stay near freezing over a 25 degree frost anytime, even with the risk of limb breakage factored in.

o

Dan, the picture says it all, unfortunately. My heart goes out to you. I am almost at loss for words. Hope it warms up there very soon and your trees will leaf out. Mrs. G

o

I wouldn't worry about a warm snow before trees leaf out. According to charts I've seen I shouldn't have much harvest to look forward to because of temps around 23 or so when peaches were almost in full bloom but the trees seem to have other ideas. Some of the fruit is filling out. I'm still hopeful of a decent crop of everything but cots. There's even a few of them sizing up.

o

I see a few buds just barely starting to leaf out, but on a whole it looks like the tree is still mostly dormant. It should be fine. The buds it has right now will probably die, but it will make new ones quickly enough, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

o

Not a problem when no leaf is out. Sometimes we get this mid/late May when trees have leaf,....you get lots of damage.

o

My Asian pear blossoms were totally opened up and getting close to petal fall. My bartlett was not quite totally opened, but small leaves and some opened blossoms. Apples ranged from half inch green to pink. Peaches were at petal fall. Grapes were lagging behind seriously and were at minimal bud swell which is good.

I am hoping for at least some apples from the later varieties. I think peaches and Asian pears are pretty much toast. I guess well see. Maybe a few bartlett may make it.

I am worried about all my new trees I put in this year as well. Everything was out of dormancy and had at least a small amount of leaves.

Temps according to weather channels was 35. I cant confirm if it was lower or higher, but I am guessing lower at my site. Town is usually some degrees higher.

Low temps this week are predicted to be 3-4 degrees above freezing with more snow.

Is anyone else getting this wonderful weather??

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here