Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scionwood budding out flowers

Posted by deerhunter17 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 15:24

I recently grafted a Liberty scionwood apple to an Antonovka rootstock a couple of weeks ago. It has recently budded out but I have a problem...It budded out what looks to me like flowers. I was wondering what I should do to promote growth to a vegetative bud and not a flowering bud? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scionwood budding out flowers

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 16:29

If your scion has vegetative buds they will push soon, when they are ready. If you grafted on a scion without a vegetative bud there is nothing that can be done now. It will probably push a shoot soon.

o

Should I trim off the flower buds or how do I promote a vegetative bud?

o

The way apples grow, even the flower buds should contain some leaves. Normally just "spur" leaves and a terminal bud, but I've seen apples where at pruning a branch was thinned back to a spur, and the spur shot out a long, "leader" type shoot. It might surprise you, I'd give it some time.

o

This happens to me all the time. Where all i get on the scion is flower buds on both apple and pear (mostly asian). They always grow vegetative growth But sometimes can have a weak point where it started growing at the fruit buds for the first year especially if grown from fruit spurs so It will need support and may snap off but this rarely occurs with proper support.

o

This is another reason why its good to have 2-3 buds on each scion you graft, one out-facing one in good position as the main bud, and 1-2 extras. I had finches peck out a few of the buds this year, and without the extra buds that variety would not have made it.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here