Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Turkish apricot varieties?

Posted by fabaceae_native (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 15:30

I'm a bit surprised nobody has asked this question on the forum because I'm sure most of you know how delicious Turkish apricots are.

Newman's Own Organics dried Turkish apricots are in such a different league than any other dried apricot you will ever taste that I'm actually surprised others even try to compete. After all, Turkey is the biggest producer of apricots, so it stands to reason that the varieties they have been cultivating over there for so many centuries are special. But I've never seen any for sale, or even named anywhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Turkish apricot varieties?

You may have to be the first. I did a search on GRIN of the countries of origin of the apricot accessions and found that most are not named varieties. Maybe you could order scion and start a little experiment. The "Turkish White" comes from the U.S.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Here is a link that might be useful: accessions of Prunus armeniaca L.

o

Thanks milehigh, I had not yet considered that route. I'm still trying to get over the loss of the pomegranate cuttings I got from them a couple months back. I have rooted them successfully in the past, but this time, nothing.

I'll consider getting apricot scion only when my grafting skills are proven. :)

o

Not only Turkey produces the best apricot Lebanon and Syria produce fantastic ones. But no way to buy the trees here in US.

o

Wow, who knew? I thought we had the best apricots here in California. I will have to look for some Turkish varieties at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Thanks for the tip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here