Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing scions- incompatabities question

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 15:45

I have to move my apple and pear scions into the family fridge, but I'm concerned that onions or something might encourage them to sprout prematurely. Please advise!

Right now they're in plastic bread bags, "kinda" tightly closed up.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing scions- incompatabities question

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 15:57

What I've heard is that ethylene from ripening apples and such can damage the scions and things like dormant trees. But if in tightly closed plastic, double or triple bagged, you might be alright even there.

I could be ill informed here.

o

I have heard the same regarding ethylene.
but i have always stored them in family fridge...for months with no problmes.
but i do double bag, with the outer larger bag a ziplock. and i make a point moving any overripe produce or fruit out.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 18:56

I keep mine in a fridge that also has apples and haven't had problems. I use ziplock freezer bags and zip them air tight.

o

I, too, have stored much of my scionwood in the family fridge for years.
With 4 kids in the home, the door was certainly opened frequently enough that ethylene concentrations from any fruit that lasted very long probably never reached any significant levels.
Bigger issue was probably keeping the temperature low enough - you know, kids standing there with the fridge door open...just looking...

o

Sweet! Thank you all.

I'll quit fretting - but I'll double check that the bags are tightly wrapped!

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 12:52

"Bigger issue was probably keeping the temperature low enough - you know, kids standing there with the fridge door open...just looking..."

LOL, I wonder what they are thinking of when they do that.

I've mentioned it before, but I never could keep scionwood from breaking dormancy in our food fridge if I had to store it very long. I finally bought I dorm fridge at a garage sale. I keep a thermometer in there and keep it as close to freezing as I dare.

Rob,

Good to see you back. I haven't seen you post in a while (but maybe I've just missed it) and was afraid you'd went away for good.

o

Still around, posting here and there but less than I used to. Late winter is busy for me, and I find the tone on many threads these days a bit unpleasant.

Kind of you to notice. Lots of good folks here with a broad base of knowledge. I won't be disappearing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here