Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtpoor2

Dumb Kansas farmer wants to grow some apricots

dirtpoor2
12 years ago

Built a new shop and am planting a few trees along the driveways. I have a couple of cherries and a few apples (jonathan, arkansas black, yellow transparent). I like sauce (grin). One of my joys is to grab something fresh (fruit or veg), toss it on the seat and head off for the day. Which brings us to apricots. Used to rent a farm that had an old farmstead with an apricot tree on it. Seemed like once every 3 or 4 years the blooms wouldn't get froze and I got to enjoy a June treat. Soil is fairly well drained (rarely any ponding)and fertility is good (former crop ground). Water table is about 15ft. Fresh eating first with dyhydration probably next on the list. Looks like a lot of choices out there. Later flowering or a long flowering period seem like something to be desired.I am located in SC KS on the OK/KS border Any thoughts? TIA Dirt

Comments (11)

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

Chinese Sweet Pit is later bloomer and I read somewhere tastes decent too.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

I might have a little better answer in a couple months but my proven performers are Tomcot and Robada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Creek Orchards apricots

• theaceofspades
    12 years ago

Tomcot blooms second of twenty five varieties of Apricot I grow. In the last two seasons Tomcot was blooming ten days earlier than Sugar Pearls. There are better Apricots in frost prone areas. Harcot Hargrand bloom late.

• ltilton
    12 years ago

I believe all of the Har series is bred to bloom late. They're recommended for marginal areas, like mine.

• olpea
    12 years ago

"In NM most years there is virtually no difference in bloom time among apricot varieties, because flowering comes on so suddenly."

That's the way it is in KS too. I've tried to grow various apricots including Sugar Pearl, Tomcot, and some of the Har series. They all bloom about the same time and all get froze out most years. A couple years ago I cut them all down.

I've been discussing an apricot (Zard) with Scott Smith that is successful in MD.

According to Scott, it blooms with peaches, and has a very good flavor. It has some skin and rot issues and is small, but I intend to give it a try here.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Zard outlasted nearly all the peach blooms this year. The only other very late cot I have is Canadian White Blenheim and it is either closely related to Zard or genetically identical. Unfortunately its hard to find; I think Bob Purvis may be selling trees. Chinese I don't recall blooming all that late, but I moved it and it has not bloomed in several years.

Scott

• persianmd2orchard
    12 years ago

Scott, I thought Tomcot was your only reliable apricot for the area, maybe I should try to find a Zard too. It's got a Persian name it sounds like (zard means yellow).

• sautesmom Sacramento
    12 years ago

You can special order Canadian White Blenheim from Dave Wilson through their SOFT list in October, and Bay Laurel will ship it if you do it through them.

Carla in Sac

• dirtpoor2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like A person just needs to be lucky. I'll take lucky over good any day. Probably try some Hars.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

PersianMD, Zard is a picky apricot to grow and it doesn't produce much. Still, it tastes great. Yes its Persian and its yellow. There is a really reliable Persian one called Shekar Pareh, it is a plumcot. It doesn't get all that sweet but its still a good fruit.

dirtpoor, Zard will give you a week or two more but its all a big dice roll so getting Hargrand for example is probably not a bad idea. Some people say Tomcot has a more staggered bloom so you are more likely to get a crop; I never noticed a lot of difference there myself.

Scott