Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Smith Nursery Co.?

missemerald
11 years ago

I was looking on line for fruit trees and found Smith's Nursery Co in Sherman Oaks, CA. Their prices are so much cheaper than almost everyone else that I was curious... and I did not see any reviews on them at all at Dave's Garden. Has anyone dealt with them before? Good or bad?

Thanks!

Marcy

Comments (8)

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

I never really liked their site because they dont give much information on the different types of trees. If a person did not know better they would buy a tree that will not fruit in their area. I like their site but would like to see more info and not so much generic info for the fruit trees.

I know what trees I want so I would order from them with no problem just to see what kind of quality of trees they have.

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

You can not go by the website. Look at Ty-Ty, the shame of Ga. By the way, I stopped by there place a few years ago. LOL, tiny sticks in plastic pots is all they had.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

I just ordered a tree from them, I'll let you know. Mrs. G

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Yes please come back and let us know. Website looks good enough with decent prices and FREE shipping

• whd23
    11 years ago

I ordered and received six trees from Smith this spring: three apple, two European pear, and one cherry. They had some apple varieties I couldn't find elsewhere and I rounded out my order to get free shipping. I also received other trees from other vendors after I received and planted the Smith trees.

All my other trees have leafed out or nearly so, as have the Smith apple trees; the pears and cherry have done nothing. They all pass the 'scratch test' but they have stubbornly refused to show bud swell. A European pear (from Raintree nursery) and a cherry (from Stark Bros) planted a few weeks after the Smith trees are among the trees that have leafed out, so I believe the conditions are right.

This weekend I will be replacing these trees with the same varieties from Stark Bros. The folks at Smith are very nice and helpful (I had a problem with my original shipment) but the quality of the trees from Stark beats Smith hands down.

• Hauptie
    11 years ago

I wish I would have looked at reviews for Smith Nursery in Sherman Oaks, CA before purchasing from them. I ordered 2 Tartarian dwarf cherry trees from them in April 2012. I called them after receiving the trees as I was concerned because all the roots had been cut back and it had buds on that were already dead. They told me all would be ok and to go ahead and plant them. At 30 days I emailed them to let them know that I wanted a replacement because neither produced any growth. Long story short, after numerous emails/calls they agreed to replace the trees and told me to call back in the fall. I've been trying to contact them for weeks now. All calls are played a greeting saying they're closed and no message taken. Numerous emails have yielded no response whatsoever.
    They sucked me in with low prices but this is another case where you get what you pay for. They took my money and ran laughing all the way to the bank.
    I'm going back to Stark Bros for all future purchases as I've had great success with them...they just got a little pricey.

• blazeaglory
    10 years ago

Did this company go out of business? Or did its website go out of business or something?

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

I ordered a 'Belle of Georgia' white peach on dwarf rootstock from Smith Nursery a year ago this spring. This is the second year I've had the tree and it is thriving. Unfortunately the blossoms fell off this past spring due to a late cold spell. If the weather behaves next spring I'll tell you more about the peach. The tree was well rooted, wrapped in moisture gel and newspaper and was very healthy upon arrival. (very well packaged too). The dwarf tree is great (about five feet tall now!) Mrs. G

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!