Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about dwarf peach/nectarine trees

Posted by Augustinabox 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 15:59

Ok, so first I need to say I am a complete novice gardener. I'm interested in growing either a peach or nectarine tree, and although I don't have any experience, I'm willing to try. I have a small patio balcony, so I've been looking into some dwarf varieties, but the information I'm finding all over the internet is very confusing.

I've heard that the fruits from these dwarf trees will not taste as good as the fruit from a standard tree. That's fine and all, but is there a way to grow tastier peaches or nectarines on a dwarf tree? Is there a particular variety that is a little tastier? What are the pros and cons of growing a genetic dwarf as opposed to a tree grafted onto dwarf rootstock?

I live in zone 8b. Our winters are pretty minimal and it gets really hot in the summers, but I have a south-facing patio so my plants shouldn't fry, right?

Anyways, I'm excited about gardening, but I'd like to optimize my selection. Any answers are much appreciated! :]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about dwarf peach/nectarine trees

• Posted by Omni none (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:49

I will try to answer some of your questions. I'm a beginner and I recently planted 2 dwarf peach trees, a multi grafted pear tree, and a 5 grafted semi dwarf apple tree.

I've never heard of dwarfs being less tastier/sweeter than the normal tree. Of course, since its a smaller tree, it will have a smaller yield and unless you thin the number of peaches per branch, you'll get smaller and not as tasty fruit with it. But this applies to standard sized trees as well.

As for variety, I bought the July Elberta from Stark Bros. I've read many reviews saying that its really sweet and a good thing about it is that it has smaller pit compared to other peaches, so per fruit you get more flesh and less seed.

I'm not sure about the genetic vs grafted fruit trees so I'll leave that question alone.

o
RE: Questions about dwarf peach/nectarine trees

Augustina, your rootstock will define the size of your tree. So, pick varieties that do well in your area, then try to find those trees on more dwarfing rootstocks. Pumiselect is very dwarfing rootstock often used for peaches/nectarines/apricots/plums. I have two trees on Pumiselect, a Weeping Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim apricot. The apricot is going into it's 3rd year in the ground, and it is still quite small. If you can't find trees on Pumiselect, then the next best choice would be Citation rootstock. So, I would find a nursery that has the option of putting their stone fruits on very dwarfing rootstocks, then pick a good variety of peach or necatarine for your area. They can adapt well to container culture, we have one forum member (fruitnut) who has done phenomenal things with container stone fruits. I believe most of his trees are on Citation.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here