Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

Harglow apricot anyone?/ elderberries?

vieja_gw
11 years ago

We have had a dwarf apricot 'Goldenglow' x Stark's Nursery for years & love the very fragrant & delicious flavor of the fruit. Unfortunately, it is no longer sold in the U.S (only in Europe). Am told the closest now to that apricot sold in the U.S is 'Harglow' dwarf. Has anyone tried this apricot & -if so- how would you rate/describe it?
Most apricots lack much flavor & are somewhat dry to me but the 'Goldenglow' had a juicy, rather a bit tangy flavor. It unfortunately did bloom early & often lost fruit due to frosts but is a long lived dwarf tree!

I remember I liked the elderberry bushes that grew on the farm back in Iowa & now have two varieties growing this second year now here in zone 7 in New Mexico. I hope my childhood memory has not deceived me & that they still make delicious elderberry pies that I loved! Any thought or suggestions as to gathering the berries, recipes, etc.? I can't believe how fast & vigorous these two canes have grown & multiplied here but waiting now for the first blossoms & fruits to form!

Comments (4)