Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harglow apricot anyone?/ elderberries?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:00

We have had a dwarf apricot 'Goldenglow' x Stark's Nursery for years & love the very fragrant & delicious flavor of the fruit. Unfortunately, it is no longer sold in the U.S (only in Europe). Am told the closest now to that apricot sold in the U.S is 'Harglow' dwarf. Has anyone tried this apricot & -if so- how would you rate/describe it?
Most apricots lack much flavor & are somewhat dry to me but the 'Goldenglow' had a juicy, rather a bit tangy flavor. It unfortunately did bloom early & often lost fruit due to frosts but is a long lived dwarf tree!

I remember I liked the elderberry bushes that grew on the farm back in Iowa & now have two varieties growing this second year now here in zone 7 in New Mexico. I hope my childhood memory has not deceived me & that they still make delicious elderberry pies that I loved! Any thought or suggestions as to gathering the berries, recipes, etc.? I can't believe how fast & vigorous these two canes have grown & multiplied here but waiting now for the first blossoms & fruits to form!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harglow apricot anyone?/ elderberries?

You might consider an aprium

o

I have Harogem, but haven't tried the fruit yet... I'd get a Tomcot...its hardy, good tasting, juicy, big in size, nice color, easy to grow...

o

'HARGLOW DWARF APRICOT' ARRIVED TODAY ... PLANTED & NOW TO WAIT & SEE IN A FEW YEARS HOW WE LIKE IT. OUR 'GOLDEN GLOW' MINIATURE APRICOT WE PLANTED IN 1970(YES!!) IS STILL ALIVE & MAY HAVE SOME FRUIT THAT ESCAPED A RECENT FROST. THOSE APRICOTS ARE SO DELICIOUS THE FEW YEARS THEY ESCAPE LATE FROSTS!

o

I would say the Stark Bros description is accurate :

A luminous apricot. This variety features medium-size, freestone fruit with a gorgeous bright orange color. Exceptional flavor and texture make them great for fresh eating, cooking and preserving. The tree is compact, productive, disease-resistant, cold-tolerant and late-blooming (to avoid late spring frosts). Ripens in early July. Self-pollinating.

Mine were mealy the first season, not bad the second season, good the third season (kind of tasted like gerbers apricot blend in jar baby food). I thawed out some whole harglow apricots from last year today and they were delicious (but not pretty). I think over time in the freezer the fruit flavors and sugars are somewhat concentrated as the water must be evaporated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here