Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

A Felco Crime Has Been Committed

{{gwi:86273}}

Sigh... We had a huge rainstorm Wednesday night into Thursday morning. We had drizzle and humidity since. Had a very busy day Thursday and didn't get out to the garden . Went out this morning to transplant my 'Crimson Passion' and 'Carmine Jewel' Sour Cherry plants into 1 gal containers. And, I have found that a nefarious crime has been committed against my beloved LEFT-HANDED #9 Felco pruners!! They were left out in the rain, drizzle and humidity. I am the perpetrator. My punishment? to figure out how to get all the rust off, and re-sharpen my beloved pruners. No one else to blame but me. Boo!!

Patty S.

Comments (16)

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

Shame, shame shame on you. :) Do a google, I think replacement blades can be bought.

Randy

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Do you have a wire bristle brush attachment for a power drill, or just a manual wire bristle brush (steel wire). Those are the easiest way of getting rust off -- the drill attachment, that fits any power drill, should be under $5 at any hardware store (well, it might be a little more, it's been a few years since I bought one, prices do go up). A good polishing with a wire brush, then sharpen with a knife sharpener or whatever method, rub with some kind of oil, and should be good as new.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, Randy, shame on me! I was so mad I me I could hardly stand myself! Thanks, denninmi. I do have a wire bristle brush. I was thinking Naval Jelly and steel wool? And then oil and a knife sharpener. Damn me.

Patty S.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Yup..nothing to worry about. Just clean it up good and oil it. Mine was worse then that.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, Frank. I was just sick. I take very good care of my things. I can't believe I let this happen. I had to order these, since they're for lefties. I will try to get them cleaned up and re-sharpened this weekend.

Patty S.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Tsk tsk tsk

• jayco
    11 years ago

Shoot, that's all? I was imagining some fruit-thieving squirrel with a pruning blade through his little heart.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, now, Jay. That would not be a crime, would it? I think that would be called, "Justice by Felco". (translated: very evil grin)

Patty S.

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    11 years ago

I feel your pain! my wife lost my fiskars limbers last year in August and I just found them 2 days ago grown over in the back yard(I'm still looking for my hand pruners that were lost on the same day).A good scrub with CLR (calcium lime rust) remover with a steel wool/scotch birght pad will clean it up in a hurry. If you are not sure about the product I am refering to ,it is a mild acid solution commonly used to descale coffee machines, hot water tanks etc. you can get it or a similar product in any hardware section at the big box stores.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Just sharpen the tool and oil it. You can rub off the rust with some steel wool or whatever but if you just oil the metal the rust will wear off after a bit of use. I prune in the rain frequently- the tools are tougher than I am.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Yep all good suggestions...keep the pointy objects away from Patty!! Lol

Im at my Grandparents and we have been using the same Corona brand tools since the 60's so Im sure your pruners will be OK...hehehe

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Patty,

I would used very fine steel wool and WD40. Wet the blades with it and gently rub the blades with the wool.

noss

• rasputinj
    11 years ago

I do the same thing about 3-4 times a year. I keep extra parts and 2 extra pairs around. Most of the time like others have said oil, wire brush and sharpening will take care of the rust.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Patty, I had a pair I lost outside for six months. I had already replaced them when I found them. They looked a whole lot worse than your pair. I just did what hman and noss suggest, followed by a good sharpening. If needed get a spare blade.

Scott

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

OMG ... new blades..????

crimminey..

do you have the tool that came with it.. to take it apart...

take it all apart.. buff it out with '4 ought' 0000 steel wool ..

oil it all down..

while you are there, all taken apart .. sharpen those blades on a honing stone ...

and the put it all back together ...

heck.. if you are going to throw them out.. i will pay postage.. and take them off your hands ,...

re-coat with a film of oil.. every 2000 miles ... lol ..

one trick on the sharpening... i believe it is a 17 degree angle ... use a sharpie.. and color in the edge ...

and then on the honing stone.. try to angle it.. so you are removing the sharpie color all on one stroke ...

if you cant get a small honing stone.. about the size of a pack of gum.. for about a buck or two.. you arent trying very hard .. new blades.. pshaw ...

you will only need new blades.. after you have sharpened them a couple hundred times ...

ken

ps: i found that sharpening them while they are apart is much easier and safer ...

Here is a link that might be useful: God i love search engines .. look what i found

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. No, not throwing them away, egads! I'm of Scottish descent, and that would be genetically impossible for me to throw anything away that just needs a good cleaning and sharpening, lol!! And yes, I have two pairs. I keep one up in the garage and another down in the lower yard in my little greenhouse. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Scott. I was so mad at myself that I was so careless. I'm horribly forgetful, and truly, it's not a wonder I haven't done this sooner. We kind of forget here in S. Calif, about leaving things outside, as we don't get the rain others get. So, for about 9 months out of the year, we can get away with leaving things outside. And, I get lazy and out of the habit about bringing things inside. I'll get to it this evening and see if I can resurrect them. They're still pretty sharp, so hopefully it won't take too much sharpening to get them honed up, again.

Patty S.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21