Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant in lava rock

Posted by genghisbunny 7 NoCA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 16:08

I have a narrow bed between my house and patio that I would like to utilize. I am imagining an edible low growing perennial. I have considered blackberries, which do well in my area. But they all seem to get very tall. I have also considered blueberries. But I'm not sure if they would like the environment in the lava rock. The rock goes about 4-6 inches down. There is black plastic below that. I'm not excited about taking the plastic out, so I would like something that wouldn't mind. I certainly can (and have in the past) add gardening soil on top of the rock. But it eventually filters down into the rock. I am successfully growing Wandering Jude there right now. But I would like to replace it with an edible. What are your suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant in lava rock

EMERALD CARPET RASPBERRY (Rubus pentalobus)

Tasty stuff...

o

That's a good suggestion, but what are the dimensions of the bed? How coarse are the rocks?

o

The bed runs along my house and is roughly 18 inches deep. I looked at the Emerald Carpet, but it seems to be non-fruiting. Is there a variety that I have missed?

o

Oh, and the rock is about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. It is the standard size you would see as an ornamental ground cover.

o

It fruits. I've have the fruit it's very good IMO. Check the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Raspberry

o

Do you have sun there or is it shaded most of the day?

o

The rock is too coarse for planting for planting ground cover-type plants. It could remain if used as a single-layer topping on the soil.

o

Thank you, melikee. That looks very interesting. It may be just what I am looking for. I wonder if I could do a test patch.

milehighgirl, it does not get sun until afternoon.

Thanks for all the help!

o

That Rubus will do fine with partial sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here