Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lots of little orange dots - what is it?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 16:14

This time of year I typically see fruits with lots of little orange dots covering a patch on one side of fruits, almost all of the wild serviceberries, many of the mayhaws, and I even saw a pear with the disease this year. Does anyone know what I'm seeing? What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lots of little orange dots - what is it?

Rust maybe?

o

Bug eggs?

Do you have a photo?

Carla in Sac

o

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner on the first reply.

Amelanchier fruit rust, similar to Cedar Apple Rust. Junipers are the alternate host for this fungus as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a little blurb about it:

o

I hate it! I dont know if its because of all the wind this year or what but my Mr. Lincoln rose bush has it BAD for the first time. Along with my double delight with black spot! I never had such a problem with these diseases/fungus/bacteria WHATEVER. Its been so windy around here lately.

o

Besides eliminating all the nearby red cedars, which isn't an option for me, are there any other cultural controls I can practice? Maybe I just need to replace the mayhaws with something that isn't susceptible to the rust, but they're just now getting big enough to yield a decent crop. Of course, if rust ruins the whole crop then it doesn't matter. (I'm not going to spray anything for the rust, especially not on mayhaws.)

Another question: does anyone know which species of serviceberries are and aren't (or don't seem to be) susceptible? I know the local, wild serviceberries are almost 100% ruined every year. One year maybe 5-10% were still edible, but mostly the rust takes right at 100%. The serviceberries I got from Hidden Springs -- I think they're A. alnifolia 'regent' -- don't seem to have any problems, though. I've wondered if some of Edible Landscaping's other serviceberries varieties might stand any chance of producing good fruit for me. I'd be interested if I had some reason to think they might not be like the wild ones (A. canadensis, I believe.)

o

Cultural controls, not really. Either they are resistant to the fungus or not, not much you can do from a cultural perspective to change that. You can, of course, use a preventative spray treatment. The same basic spray program used for apples would work.

o

Thank you for putting a name to the disease for me and for the link to the photo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here