Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

First Year With Apple Tree

lisazone6_ma
13 years ago

Sorry if this question has already been answered a thousand times!

I bought a dwarf "Pixi Crunch" apple tree last year. I didn't have it in an optimal place as I simply had to get the tree in the ground for the winter. I dug it up this year and placed it in a pot where it will get full sun. I'm hoping since it's a dwarf it will do well in the pot, but can place it back in the ground in another area if it doesn't do well.

My question is, what do I do with the tree for this, it's technically first year? It's in flower now. Do I nip off the flowers so little apples don't form? I was told to not let apples form for the first couple of years until the tree gets bigger. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall and maybe a little thicker around than a pencil right now. Will an apple form for every flower? When it does get bigger and I can let apples form do I thin them to just one per cluster of flowers (if an apple will form for every flower)? Anything else I should do? I know that you can't avoid spraying fruit trees, but I'd rather do the least I can chemical-wise. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

Lisa

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia