Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matto0_gw

Help Identifying Fruit Tree

matto0
11 years ago

Hey guys,

We are in a new to us house and are trying to figure out what type of fruit tree this is.

The fruit smells similar to apricot and also has a soft fuzzy skin.

(See attached photos)

Thanks,

Matt

Comments (14)

• matto0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another image

• matto0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

one more

• matto0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fruit

• Tony
    11 years ago

Matt,

Those fruits are edible Loquat. Enjoy them.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Loquat

• matto0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tony!

• applenut_gw
    11 years ago

They don't keep worth a darn either, so stuff your face while you can. They should be a golden yellow before picking; these aren't quite ripe yet.

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Some varieties turn orange. They are really good IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: CRFG Loquat

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I was in the San Francisco area last month and saw Loquat at numerous places.Most people there don't seem to care about them.
    Here are a couple of pictures of a tree in the city.A few others were nearby.The fruit was okay,kind of small and somewhat thick skinned.
    {{gwi:86412}}
    {{gwi:86413}}

These are pictures of a Loquat in Seattle's International District.It could be the largest one there,possibly in the State.A nursery owner said it was planted in 1962.Every time I've checked though,it has had no fruit.
    {{gwi:86414}}
    {{gwi:86415}}

It looks like your fruit will be good and meaty,Matt. Brady

• ack01
    11 years ago

I live in Florida and there are Loquat everywhere. I grew up eating them and still love them to this day. the fruit is much like a mulberry in fact that it takes a talent to know when it is perfect to eat. if it is under ripe its not good and once it does rippen it spoils very fast. so if you picked one and you did not like it make sure you try it at diffrent stages of rippening before you give up!

• ack01
    11 years ago

I live in Florida and there are Loquat everywhere. I grew up eating them and still love them to this day. the fruit is much like a mulberry in fact that it takes a talent to know when it is perfect to eat. if it is under ripe its not good and once it does rippen it spoils very fast. so if you picked one and you did not like it make sure you try it at diffrent stages of rippening before you give up!

• insteng
    11 years ago

Yes if you can catch them when they are ripe they are really good. Nice thing about them they will just grow wild with no special care. You will have small trees popping up everywhere from the seeds if you don't pick up the fruit that falls on the ground. I am going to plant several of them at my farm for the deer and other wildlife. I figure if they have them to eat they will stay away from my other trees inside the fenced area.

• Alex Garces
    8 years ago

can someone identify this fruit?

• matthias_lang
    8 years ago

agarces70, I think yours might be some kind of passion fruit. The native one in the US is commonly called Maypop. If it is passion fruit, then yours has a way to go before i is ripe.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I think this fruit is Annona glabra. Annona glabra