Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying Fruit Tree

Posted by matto0 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 16:20

Hey guys,

We are in a new to us house and are trying to figure out what type of fruit tree this is.

The fruit smells similar to apricot and also has a soft fuzzy skin.

(See attached photos)

Thanks,

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying Fruit Tree

Another image

o

one more

o
RE: Help Identifying Fruit Tree - fruit image

The fruit

o

Matt,

Those fruits are edible Loquat. Enjoy them.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Loquat

o

Thanks Tony!

o

They don't keep worth a darn either, so stuff your face while you can. They should be a golden yellow before picking; these aren't quite ripe yet.

o

Some varieties turn orange. They are really good IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: CRFG Loquat

o

I was in the San Francisco area last month and saw Loquat at numerous places.Most people there don't seem to care about them.
Here are a couple of pictures of a tree in the city.A few others were nearby.The fruit was okay,kind of small and somewhat thick skinned.
 photo Image354.jpg
 photo Image355.jpg

These are pictures of a Loquat in Seattle's International District.It could be the largest one there,possibly in the State.A nursery owner said it was planted in 1962.Every time I've checked though,it has had no fruit.
 photo Image215.jpg
 photo Image219-1.jpg

It looks like your fruit will be good and meaty,Matt. Brady

o

I live in Florida and there are Loquat everywhere. I grew up eating them and still love them to this day. the fruit is much like a mulberry in fact that it takes a talent to know when it is perfect to eat. if it is under ripe its not good and once it does rippen it spoils very fast. so if you picked one and you did not like it make sure you try it at diffrent stages of rippening before you give up!

o

I live in Florida and there are Loquat everywhere. I grew up eating them and still love them to this day. the fruit is much like a mulberry in fact that it takes a talent to know when it is perfect to eat. if it is under ripe its not good and once it does rippen it spoils very fast. so if you picked one and you did not like it make sure you try it at diffrent stages of rippening before you give up!

o

Yes if you can catch them when they are ripe they are really good. Nice thing about them they will just grow wild with no special care. You will have small trees popping up everywhere from the seeds if you don't pick up the fruit that falls on the ground. I am going to plant several of them at my farm for the deer and other wildlife. I figure if they have them to eat they will stay away from my other trees inside the fenced area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here