Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnthecook

Grandpas Orchard

johnthecook
9 years ago

Just received my Williams Pride and Pristine apple trees. I have all ways been happy with their trees.

Comments (16)

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

Nice set of roots on those trees. Who did you get them from? Thanks, Bill

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

John, you will be so surprised at how quickly your 'Pristine' apple will grow. I had three dozen apples their third year after thinning. Great to have apples in August. Mrs. g

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got them from Grandpas orchard. I am not a Grand pa yet.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

John. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Those are good looking trees. PS, I'm a Gramps 4 times. I'ts a nice title. Bill

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to hear they fruit early in their planting. They have rounded out my early, mid, late apples. I do have Gravenstein which is an early old apple.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Do you know what the diameter of those trees are- do they grow them or are they in the middle?

They do look like nice trees.

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are (Bud 9) root, Extra Large 5/8" up caliper grade. Not sure if that's the answer you wanted. 23.99$ each. Not sure if they grow them or are just the middle man. Third time I have purchased from them and happy with them. Last time they sent me a Crimson Gold apple in stead of a Crimson Crisp and they quickly sent me out another apple tree and told me to keep the mistake.

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered some apple trees from Orange Pippin last year and the trees were smaller, poorly branched, and a couple of bucks more. Had to cut back in hopes of getting some good branching out of them. These have more than 4 nice branches on them.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I also got some trees from Grampas this year. They are top quality. The only thing I didn't like is they came a month after my request date and they are starting to leaf out a bit. They told me they got way behind due to the lingering winter this year, but they should have been able to hold the trees dormant at least.

Scott

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Sure wish my latest tree purchase came with roots like those.

• txdurk
    9 years ago

In early April (it's now 5/8) I received three apples from Grandpa's; a Gala, a Pink Lady, & a Fuji all on M7. Very nice feathering on the Pink and Fuji. All have nice calipers. The Pink and Fuji were "XL" and the Gala "large". All three almost immediately settled in and leafed out. I would recommend them.

This post was edited by txdurk on Tue, May 20, 14 at 10:42

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I lost a tree last year, and they sent a replacement this year. And I'm pretty sure they grow them themselves. As they offer grafting services and such. They will graft your scion unto rootstocks, but it is expensive. Small compnay so prices are a little high, but i like to support the small guy when it is practical.

• olpea
    9 years ago

I think Grandpas is a good nursery. They are run as a retail outlet as a sideline for the wholesale outfit of Matt and Lee Moser (husband and wife).

I received a couple peach cling canners from them this spring. The only objection was that the trees are so large, there are no viable buds on the lower portion of the trunk (a problem when planting peach trees). I figure these were left over stock that wouldn't sell in wholesale quantities.

It's OK though. I was glad to get the varieties, and if I get time, I'll use some of the wood to graft a new trunk lower down.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Wow, Grandpa did good! I have 4 trees from them second leaf. Very happy. All are experimental regarding chill hours but all are on Lovell so I can top graft if needed down the road. But they explode out of the ground in growth.

• charina
    9 years ago

I received all of my trees from three of the four sources I ordered from. Grandpa's orchard is only one that hasn't sent trees yet. Yes they are very behind.

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I purchased an Apache apricot, Blushing-star peach and a Sun crest peach. The trees were very healthy with good roots but, as Olpea said the trees were big and no lower buds. They are in their third year of producing fruit with Jack Frost taking it all for himself.