Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Pruning my Crabapple

I posted this query on the Tree Forum before I realized their was a fruit tree forum--so I'm reposting it here. Hopefully some crabapple experts hang out here and can answer my question.

I have a crabapple that is about 8-9 years old. The branches are rather low--can't walk under the tree and I'm short. I'd like to prune off the three lowest branches back to the main trunk -- to raise up the branch level on the tree.
My question: Is there a best time of the year to do this --other than wintertime since I don't want to wait until next winter? A worst time of the year to do it?

I'm assuming spring is not one of the best times to do it, but then hot summer probably isn't good either. Should I wait for cooler autumn or is it all right to do the pruning now?

As to the kind of crabapple. I hope it doesn't make a difference because I can't remember what kind it is--except it was one of the better ones for my area (Zone 6 Kansas). I remember researching a lot to find the best kind--just don't remember what that turned out to be.

Kate

Comments (3)