Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree with no blossoms?

Posted by norwalk_terraces 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 16:30

I bought a Macoun tree (can't remember the rootstock, semi-dwarf, I think) 2 years ago. It was about 6' then and has grown a bit since then. It had flowers when I bought it and a few apples later in the year, which all dropped. I figured the stress of planting it might have had something to do with that. Last year it had a few blossoms but no fruit. It is next to a Golden Delicious which according to the charts blooms at the same time but last year was done blooming before the Macoun started. So no pollination. I get that. This year the Golden Delicious has had a few blossoms which are now beginning to wilt but the Macoun hasn't shown even a single one. Any ideas to why?

Our winter in CT was very mild this year. No fertilizer, no pesticides. Both the Delicious and the Macoun had white mealybugs on it a few weeks ago and I sprayed those off with water from the hose. Why is the Macoun not blooming? The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's not getting enough sun? My yard is small and there are many tall trees around me so the most direct southern sunlight the tree gets is maybe 2-3 hours, plus 2-3 hours of dappled sunshine.

Are there apple trees better suited for partial shade? I like tart apples...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree with no blossoms?

My guess is, it's the year for a rest, most apples are biannual.

o

thanks, Konrad, but it's unlikely that the apple tree is taking a year off: it didn;t have any fruit last year either! yet it had blossoms and fruit the year I bought it...so it's mature enough to bloom.

why is my tree not blooming?

o

If it was in a pot when you purchased it I have a thought. I think pots can make a tree flower young. There is limited room for the roots so the tree puts energy into making fruit instead of new wood. After you transplanted it, it would have freed up the roots to grow and caused the tree to grow wood instead of fruit. Give it some time it will mature.

o

hmm, you could be right. Yes, it was in a pot. Okay, I guess I'll just have to be patient (not one of my strengths!). Maybe give the tree another year before I replace it. I have so little space in my terraced garden that every square foot is precious ...

thanks!
Chris

o

I have a semi dwarf macoun And it just started blooming today. The golden delicious next to it looks like it's close to blooming also. My macoun is in it's third year in my garden. It is loaded with flowers and i've read it needs to be thinned to get a good size crop of apples. If not thinned out Macoun can be biennial. It's one of my favorite apples so I'm excited to get an apple off of it this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here