Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norwalk_terraces

apple tree with no blossoms?

norwalk_terraces
12 years ago

I bought a Macoun tree (can't remember the rootstock, semi-dwarf, I think) 2 years ago. It was about 6' then and has grown a bit since then. It had flowers when I bought it and a few apples later in the year, which all dropped. I figured the stress of planting it might have had something to do with that. Last year it had a few blossoms but no fruit. It is next to a Golden Delicious which according to the charts blooms at the same time but last year was done blooming before the Macoun started. So no pollination. I get that. This year the Golden Delicious has had a few blossoms which are now beginning to wilt but the Macoun hasn't shown even a single one. Any ideas to why?

Our winter in CT was very mild this year. No fertilizer, no pesticides. Both the Delicious and the Macoun had white mealybugs on it a few weeks ago and I sprayed those off with water from the hose. Why is the Macoun not blooming? The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's not getting enough sun? My yard is small and there are many tall trees around me so the most direct southern sunlight the tree gets is maybe 2-3 hours, plus 2-3 hours of dappled sunshine.

Are there apple trees better suited for partial shade? I like tart apples...

Comments (5)