Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels Idea

Posted by ramble 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 16:35

Saw something that may work for keeping squirrels out of trees when using baffles.

From an article saying WD-40 has a lot of great uses:

Protect a bird feeder
To keep squirrels from taking over a bird feeder, spray a generous amount of WD-40 on top of the feeder. The pesky squirrels will slide right off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels Idea

The first time, they'll slide right off. The third or fouth time, the slimy squirrels will hang on to the wiped-off feeder.

o

Light it on fire.

o

Ramble, you've got that right!

o

Axle grease smeared on flashing stapled around 4' of trunk can be affective. I'm not sure what affect WD40 would have on the health of the tree if sprayed directly on the trunk but I don't see how it would make it slick enough.

I bought a 50'X48" roll of black mylar to try to keep them off trunks this year so I don't have to deal with the axle grease.

I'm not using tangle trap if I can help it because I kill too many birds.

o

The only thing I've known to work on squirrels is a baffle, high enough up that they can't jump from a lower branch. If someone made adjustable baffles you could put on trees, I think they'd sell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here