Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible (likely) that these are blueberries

Posted by sjkly 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 16:37

So, for the last few years I have grown blueberries in containers.
Last fall I didn't clean out my containers where veges had been growing-been doing that this spring. In two of the containers close to where the blueberries are, I have what look like blueberry plants growing.
Tall canes off a low stem, I didn't pull them, I wanted to wait for them to leaf out-the leaves have opened now and they are identical to my berry bushes. Small oval leaves tinged with red.
I know it's possible but is it really likely that the blueberries propagated by seeds? Is it really that easy for them to spread?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible (likely) that these are blueberries

I don't know man, thats unlikely.. A picture would help.. It is possible though, if the containers were kissing your bluerries and the blueberrys weighed down the stem and the stem tip rooted in your vegetables container? I found it very easy to propagate blueberries by cuttings.. It takes monthes for it to germinate by seed, very unlikely... Dont know what to tell you.. Wait it out, and take a picture.

Joe

o

There were no canes tipping over and re rooting themselves-months to germinate by seed-well it would have had all winter.
Still, after reading how hard it is to propagate blueberries by seed I was a bit surprised myself. Let me see if I can figure out how to get a picture.

o

That happened to me last Fall.I saw a little plant growing a few inches away from a Blueberry plant in the ground.It is now in a small pot growing in my greenhouse. Brady

o

A related plant, V. ovatum, the evergreen huckleberry, readily reseeds.

o

I don't have any huckleberrys in the area.
I have become convinced that these are blueberries-they are identical to the known blueberry-if fact a leaf plucked from one plant is a perfect match for the other.

o

I was using the huckleberry as an example to show that your blueberry could indeed reseed and grow.

o

Oh, I got confused.

The plants look more like blueberries everyday so I will leave them and see if next year I get berries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here