Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't use wood containers for trees!

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 16:38

Obviously common sense should tell a person (me) that this is not a good idea. So today I went to remove a sweet cherry growing in a whisky barrel so I could give it away (don't need it)... The bottom was more or less rotted away (roots had grown INTO the wood) ..i. was able to peel everything off by hand. All the wood touching soil was rotted away and i could snap them in half with my hands (these things are oak i believe)... So yeah...this was 4 years of use and its dead now. I have 2 other trees in them that will be getting new homes soon. Stick with plastic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't use wood containers for trees!

There are longer lasting woods like redwood & cedar...

o

A lot if plastics used for pots and planters also get brittle and crack or break in 4-5 years. There isn't a perfect answer.

o

Dennis-
I have bought the nursery plastic containers from greenhouse supply or one of those places (15 gallon) and they are treated for UV protection. Obviously they aren't going to last forever, but i have a few as old as that whisky barrel that i'm still using...but i agree, no perfect answer, everything is throw away at some point..at least that wood will decompose. The problem with plastic, at least for me is its so brittle in cold weather that you really have to be careful moving them around...but i still to prefer plastic (polyethylene)...plus its lite weight...these whisky barrels are pigs.

o

You could also eliminate the rotting problem (to a point), by replacing the bottom of the barrel with thick window screen (the pot will also drain way better this way)

Up where I am wood lasts longer then plastics outside. IT just depends on how well you take care if it, and whether its a rot resitant type (locust, ceader or old redwood barrels)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here