Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best avocado tree for Austin Texas

Posted by mpp798 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 16:40

In Central California we grew several varieties of avocados although the weather was not ideal. We babied our trees and kept them alive and they produced for us. However, none of the varieties we were able to grow were as good as the avocados we could buy. We have moved to Austin and want to buy a tree here. Do any of you know of a good tasting variety that does well? We don't want to go to all the work of taking care of it if it isn't going to be that flavorful. Has anyone heard of the Florida Hass for high humidity areas? We were unable to find any nurserys with trees for this year (even mail order) but hopefully early next spring we will find one to plant. Also, do you have a favorite variety of asparagus that does well in Austin? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best avocado tree for Austin Texas

Avocado wont' survive in Austin,TX without a greenhouse over it. I'd recommend the all female varieties of asparagus.

o

Only the most tropical areas in CA can grow the good avacadoes. Even in the south valley of Texas, you are limited to the inferior varieties. Austin isn't even close to suitable. Try figs, peaches, pears, or even apples. They are much better for Austin.

The Fruitnut

o

Yeah,
Hate to be a neah sayer but Avacoado may not be the best choice. I Know some people who have grown the Front variety that I think originated in San Antonio in a green house and they were disapointed with the quality. Hass may be the best choice for you if you just want to have an Av. tree. Just know that they have zero tolerance to cold, I mean none.

Scaper

o

Mpp:

I wouldn't even touch the avocado issue, which I wouldn't try to grow in Austin on a bet. But you can grow asparagus if you have deep, rich soil. I have had great success with the New Jersey developed variety Jersey Knight, though there are some California varieties that might do better in Austin.

Mr. Texas meant to say all-male rather than all-female asparagus. When your find a female in the patch, as indicated by seed berries, take it out.

Asparagus is booming right now in Northern Virginia, and we are cutting every 3 days.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

Last year I paid while working in San Antonio TX, I took a drive to Devine, about 30 miles south of San Antonio. There's a man that collected avocados that grew in southern texas and currently grows them in his yard. The trees are over 30 ft. The one year temperatures dropped to 14F and they did have winter damage and were defoliated, the following year they were fine and did set a full crop.
If you go down to San Antonio go to Fenwick nursery and ask them about their avocados. You are north of that area so, good luck.

Bass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here