Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Oops, I did it again.

denninmi
11 years ago

I didn't mean to, it just happened.

Frankly, I think the damned Discover card does these things in the middle of the night by itself. Perhaps it's not happy with the slight holes in my orchard, or it just covets a few new things.

And, that coveting of a "few new things" kind of turned into about a $500 online shopping spree. Nourse, Stark, Oikos.

So, I ordered a couple of new kinds of day neutral strawberries, a Yates and 2 more Prok persimmons from Stark (OK, I really want to see if Just Fruits will have Prok for 2012 shipping, but these will do in the interim), and quite a menagerie from Oikos.

God help me, I wish there was a group called Nurserystock Anonymous.

Comments (13)

• marknmt
    11 years ago

Hello, Denninmi!

:-)M

• wildforager
    11 years ago

I'm curious what you will receive from Oikos. I have friends who have ordered from them and they have been known to send extremely undersized trees. Almost to the point where you would be better sprouting the seeds yourself. Please keep us posted.

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

LOL Good one. I feel your pain. Ahhh but you probably got free shipping. :)

• denninmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've always been happy with my previous orders from Oikos. They are just small starters, most are one year old when shipped. But, they do state in the catalog how big they'll be, such as "4 to 6 inches". Everything I've gotten from them has been healthy, and the ones that didn't make it long term weren't the companies fault (it was rabbits! chewed off a couple of Juglans from my last order)

So, I can't complain.

When it comes, I'll try to post a photo of the stuff as it comes out of the box.

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    11 years ago

Sign me up! Though, I've been able to keep my expenditures to less than $500. It helps to only have a suburban yard. I just bought 30 more strawberry plants (Ozark Beauty) at the grocery store on clearance. I know, I know, they won't be excellent quality but they'll keep the kids away from my good strawberry bed. I shared 15 with the neighbor in exchange for an upside-down strawberry planter. Now, how to explain the Asian pear and Chinese apricot tree to the husband...

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I do a few late orders every year. When the shipping season is nearing the end I let my guard down and WHAM the money is charged before I can even blink. This year I did late mulberry, cherry, grape, and blueberries.

Scott

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

This thread is Fruit Tree Buyers Anonymous! Ok, my names is Mrs. G and I too bought four trees this year I did not need. Want is the problem. I see photographs of certain fruit trees, love European varieties and it all turns into Fruit trees 'gone wild'. I was going to stop at 13, I now have 17. I need help!

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I just placed my last (I think) order of the season a few days ago. I has 12 orders total for 103 total plants, though only 42 were trees. And a few were for family- only 95% were for me... :)

I can direct some of the blame to Fruitnut. After seeing all the great fruit he grows in containers I had to try too. And since they take up less space and can but put on the deck, patio, along the driveway, etc I wasn't as constrained the available space. About half of the trees are going into 7-15 gallon fabric pots.

• chills71
    11 years ago

I've been looking at Oikos this past week for Walnuts. (there seems to be a restriction on shipping Juglans plants into Mi, so I need a local source (and its not even really for me). then I'll need to get myself something to justify the shipping cost. (any chance you've tried the Buartblack Walnut ECOS?)

An order of mine was late (in previous years i've received my order before now from this particular nursery). So I called and they were holding up shipping until a plant on backorder came in. I changed the order to replace teh missing plant and added something I now need a pollenator to successfully fruit.

Chills

• Ernie
    11 years ago

I found myself in the same boat a couple of months ago...Oikos, Burnt Ridge, Simmons...it adds up fast, but it sure is fun! The variety and novelty of Oikos' products is hard to beat, and I ended up with quite a menagerie as well. Of course, they've added even more fascinating stuff since my order in February, so now I'm planning a fall order.

As a first-time Oikos customer, my experience was by and large a very good one. I received my order in mid-march, the plant sizes were exactly as advertised, and everything seems healthy so far. I was particularly impressed with the Japanese wineberries (very nice root systems). My order included several trees -- a Robin Hill Juneberry (good size and nicely branched root system), two Nana Dwarf Beach Plums (height as advertised but weaker root systems), and a tiny Medlar seedling. I was initially concerned about the plums, but they've leafed out and are looking very good.

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

I am already looking for a Cameo for the fall planting and I think a Red Free then that's it. No more for me. That's it no way. Well for 2012 anyway.

Randy

• chills71
    11 years ago

My $200 Burnt Ridge order shipped today.

YEAH!!!

~Chills

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    11 years ago

I was done planting. I really was. Then Jungs had a fruit tree sale and an extra 20% off this weekend... And I've been hearing interesting things about the Sweet Sixteen apple, and Wolf River is my aunt's favorite and one thing led to another... I guess I will be ripping out more arborvitae and planting two more apple trees!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?