Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bobcock peach has no leaf ?

Posted by gambelsquail 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 16:41

I planted a Babcock peach last spring. It grew nicely for a few months and even gave me two small peaches. But after a few months the growth stopped.

This early spring it bloomed with tiny flowers. Until now no leaf shows ...

The root stock is Citation.

Should I water more or use some kind of fertilizer?

This post was edited by gambelsquail on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 16:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bobcock peach has no leaf ?

scratch through the bark with your fingernail, and determine if the wood is still alive/green. You give no info regarding your soil type. If you have sand...make sure you keep well-watered. Small/young trees have very limited root systems. Citation rootstocks do not like drought conditions. They often go into hibernation/dormancy early if stressed out from drought.

o

Thank you for reply.

I have clay soil. The tree is still alive since the little peaches are still green. Just no leaf shows :(

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 11:22

Babcock leafs out, for me, after it blooms and sets fruit. Some years it is more pronounced than others. Still an excellent peach here.

Here's a pic from end of March, early morning after a rain, so pic quality is poor:

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 11:48

Could be lack of chilling. But from looking at the tree it's obvious it didn't grow last year. And the surrounding area looks very dry. So it could be lack of water along with lack of chilling.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 9:49

Babcock chill hours are listed at 250-300, and I've never seen a warm Winter impact it negatively. It does look like it could use a good soaking though as fruitnut suggests. An application of a good low N fertilizer like GRO-POWER FLOWER 'N' BLOOM 3-12-12 might be a good idea as would some mulch out around the landscape. In my hot dry locale bare dirt is an invitation to spider mite problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here