Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Fruitnut regarding Cherry

Posted by kingwood 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 16:43

My Royal Ranier is starting to put on blooms. Looks like it will be quite a few this year. My pollinator (Lapins) is behind it in bloom time. What are you using for pollination of Royal Ranier? Request suggestion for variety that will share bloom and also fall within my chill hours. I had Craigs Crimson, but it bit the dust (canker) after about 3 years.

Have tried the super low chill, but all died from canker. Waisted enough time and money on those. Looking for something under 700 chill that might share bloom and be somewhat disease resistant. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Fruitnut regarding Cherry

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 19:09

kingwood:

I've got about 20 varieties and bloom is spread over more than a month. This year Royal Rainier bloomed in the mid to late period close to Lapins. Given the difference in our chilling regimes my results probably aren't going to help you even if I had better notes.

I have to think you are borderline on chilling. My cultivars that set best at marginal chilling are Rainier, Bing, Lapins, and Sonata. I've heard that Stella is even lower chilling than Lapins but I haven't grown it here.

Things that don't set at all with marginal chilling include Van, Sweetheart, Selah, Skeena, Benton, and Sandra Rose. All of the last five are self fertile but need a lot of chilling, 500-600 Utah hrs, to set even 1% of blossoms.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 19:21

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here