Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to do companion planting

Posted by wardog25 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 16:49

By searching online I've found lots of lists of good companion plants (like herbs and spices and such) for my fruit trees, but I'm wondering how to do it exactly.

I currently have pine bark mulch for the trees, but I keep it 6-12 inches back from the trunk. So do the companion plants go there, where there is no mulch? Or should I pull mulch back farther out and plant them there?

Just curious if people have experience about what works best. I'm planting mango, avocado, lychee, peach, banana, guava, and loquat trees. Hoping to grow some companion plants that keep disease and pests away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to do companion planting

THere isnt much stating the validity of companion planting as a whole. Some things, like garlic deturing aphids is one that I know of thats worked for me, and others. Strong smelling plants (liek herbs) will confuse some pests, instead of honing in on one huge patch of lettuce. Most of them are small groupings (say tomatoes, basil, oragano, carrots).

What you are thinking of is reminicent of FOOD FOREST gardening, or a PLANT COMMUNITY. These are larger groups that mimic the plants natural habitat. You can customize these by switching plants that do similar things (nitrogen fixers, nutrient accumulators etc) that you like.

Im going to have to assume you have a decent sized yard. Youll want to use the trees you mentioned as your center pieces of small communities, into a larger forest garden. THis gets too long to fully explain ( I highly suggest you read material on permaculture, which seems to be exactly what you need ). I suggest a book called "gaias garden" by Toby Hemenway ( the best book for making the concepts more "pallitable".

o

Only real companion planting I do is catnip, and its mainly because pollinators really love those flowers.

o

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of anything overly complex at this point.

Just some things like garlic, comfrey, nasturtiums, and clover. Just to attract the right kind of bugs and repel others.

o

Dirty little secret time, if you really want to attract the best pollinators, just designate part of your lawn as a "pollinator attraction zone" and just stop mowing it. Let the grass and the wildflowers grow.

Local native flowers will attract pollinators the best, because its what they evolved to use. Imported plants like catnip work, but local stuff works better. And best part is, local stuff is free, you just have to stop chopping it down as weeds. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here