Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identity of FHN unknown

Posted by fruitnut z7,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 16:50

I'm wondering if several of my unknown blueberries aren't Meadowlark. The most remarkable feature of this blueberry is the large fruit on remarkably open clusters. Picking them is like plucking small plums. Here is a description of Meadowlark.

Meadowlark� 'FL01-173' - (U.S. Patent PP21,553)
Southern Highbush Blueberry Variety
Description: Meadowlark� �FL01-173� is one of the newest releases from the University of Florida's Institute of Food & Agricultural Sciences blueberry breeding program. Meadowlark� �FL01-173� may be used for early season production on deciduous plants from Orlando, FL to Gainesville, FL.

Plants of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� are very early-ripening and have an upright growth habit. The plant of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� is vase-shaped with stout, upright stems, and a smaller plant stature. Meadowlark� �FL01-173� has a superior ability to leaf strongly during flowering. Plants of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� have high yield potential and survive medium to well in field conditions, although plants may be susceptible to blueberry bud mites.

Fruit of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� ripens extremely early, about 10 days before that of 'Star'. Flowers of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� are 50% open by approximately February 3, and fruit of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� is 50% ripe by approximately April 24 in Windsor, FL. Berries of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� average 2.45g. Meadowlark� �FL01-173� has very open clusters of flowers and berries due to remarkably long pedicels and peduncles, which may be due to the presence of sparkleberry (Vaccinium arboreum) in its pedigree. Meadowlark� �FL01-173� produces very loose berry clusters with medium berry detachment force, and may have potential to be harvested mechanically. Berries of Meadowlark� �FL01-173� have a mild flavor with a good balance of sugar and acid, and mature berries maintain quality for a long time on the plant.

And a picture of my fruit which I like about as well as anything but Sweetcrisp:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identity of FHN unknown

I checked with Connie Horner about trying a Meadowlark since it is listed on her website. She said FL has a minimum order of 100 plants on that variety. Yikes, what's that about?

Patty, have you tasted your unknown that looked like mine?

o
RE: Identity of FHN unknown

I wonder why the minimum on just that one variety?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here