Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
april 3rd and ground still frozen

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 16:50

Just a note to all of you well into spring. Here in central MN after a record cold winter the ground is still hard as a rock and theres 36" of ice on the lakes. I might get to plant this years bare root trees by the beginning of May.

Oh well, at least the late spring might make a bloom killing frost less likely.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: april 3rd and ground still frozen

Olddryer,

I seem to remember you posting last spring that you thought it would never come. You even suggested bringing some branches in to bloom inside:) I wish I could find your post.

I sure hope you don't have a killing frost this year. We've had a warmer than usual spring so far and my Toka plum is ready to pop. There's no way we won't have frost from here on out.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 21:18

Diane & I flew from Charlotte, NC, to Minneapolis, MN, on Sunday, March 30th. I was impressed with the snow cover in Minnesota, it is still very complete. Here in Madison, we have only patches of snow, although the lakes are still frozen over. Our daffodils are up to about 3 inches high, and the yard seems to be free of frost, at least the top few inches.

o

I feel your pain Oldryder.... I'm 25 miles north of Brainerd, MN. Still have well over 20" of snow around the fruit trees and berry patch.

I wanted to get a spray of a dormant oil going this weekend, but it is really hard wading around in snow over your knees. Maybe next week. The forecast is finally looking better.

o

"I seem to remember you posting last spring that you thought it would never come" - yes. last year was record snowfall for April. This year is better but I still remember 2012 when I took my 1st motorcycle ride in March. what happened to global warming?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here