Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edges of new strawberry leaves are browned.

Posted by silent88 So Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 16:59

Can anyone help me ID the problem with my strawberries? The new leaves look like in the picture all the way from when the leaf begins to pop out of the crown.

I feel it could be fertilizer burn, can blood meal do that?

Also I've been watering with 1/4 cup vinegar to one gallon to hopefully help reduce the water ph (which is about 8 from tap). I heard people use vinegar to kill weeds but the amount I used seemed along the lines of the amount recommended to lower ph for watering plants.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edges of new strawberry leaves are browned.

I use 1 tablespoon per gallon. My water is 7.8 (Detroit City water). But I have spring rainwater now, so all set for the season! I only have PH strips to test, no meter, so it is not exact.

o

You need to test the pH of the water to determine how much vinegar you need. Even two water sources with the same initial pH can need different amounts of vinegar to get to the same final pH; it all depends upon their chemistry (what's dissolved in them).

Get some pH test strips, the ones which cover a wide range of pH, and do some experimenting. Maybe a teaspoon of vinegar at a time, mix well and test. Keep going until you get to the level you want.

BTW, 1/4c per gallon seems like a lot. Not impossible but most waters need quite a bit less. My relatively hard well water needs 4t/gallon to get to pH 5.5.

o

I agree quarter cup seems like too much. If I was you, I would get a carbon filter. People say it doesn't affect pH, but it filters out lots of pollution. It does wonders for plants, trust me!

Best of luck,
Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here