Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loquat fruit

Posted by yellowroses1 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 17:01

I have loquat trees that are producing fruit for the first time since planting. One of the trees is five years in the ground and the others are all two years planted but this is the first year of fruit.

People have said that the fruit is sweet and luscious but I find it to be sour enough to screw up my face on first bite- like biting into a lemon. On the internet I read that it is sweet-tart and another site says it is sweet. Is there something wrong with my soil or my tastebuds. I don't like a lot of fruit because I find it to be sour instead of sweet that others swear is wonderfully sweet,

How can I use this fruit- other than to fill my composte heap? Even the squirrels have not tried to eat it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loquat fruit

I got this from the link....

Harvest: Loquat fruits should be allowed to ripen fully before harvesting. They reach maturity in about 90 days from full flower opening. When ripe the fruit develops a distinctive color, depending on the cultivar, and begins to soften. Unripe fruits do not ripen properly off the tree and are excessively acid. Harvest time in California is from March to June. The fruit is difficult to separate from the cluster stems without tearing and must be carefully clipped individually or the whole cluster removed and the fruit then snipped off. Ripe fruit may be stored in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.

So did your fruit change color and soften before you ate it?

Here is a link that might be useful: LOQUAT Fruit Facts

o

Yes, I waited until the fruit was a bright orange yellow and was soft but not squishy. Some of them are beginning to brown and rot on the tree so I know they are as ripe as they will get.

I expected the squirrels and the mocking birds to hit the trees hard for fruit but they are not interested. Guess they are waiting for the figs and persimmons to come in. Last year the squirrels took a bite out of every persimmon on the two trees before they ripened and ruined all of the fruit. I didn't thnk they would pass on the loquats. Perhaps they are too sour for them also.

o

I find the fruit gets better the longer it fruits.They are grown a lot in the south my grand kids loved them

o

So maybe the fruit will be better in a couple of years?

o

that's possible, or it needs to ripen more. are these seedlings? (every seedling I had tastes good anyway)

o

The oldest tree was planted five years ago and is 12-15 feet tall. The four younger ones were planted two years ago and are 10-12 feet tall. No seedlings.

o

Are they a variety you got from a nursery? If not, you probably just have a random seedling. Just like any fruit, named varieties all have different flavors, and even the named grafted varieties have some which taste much better than others. Some are really sweet, some are bland. But a non-grafted seedling--who knows what you get??

Carla in Sac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here