Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamtownfarms

Seaberry buckthorn seeding

Hamtownfarms
11 years ago

Hi there

I�m new to seaberrying-so if I sound uninformed, it is because I am.

I tasted seaberry preserves 2 weeks ago and was immediately hooked! A number of interested parties and myself are in the process of establishing an urban orchard (Hamtown Farms) on 9 vacant city lots.

We will be erecting a fence along the perimeter of the lots but think that the thorns of the seaberry will add a second layer of deterrence while producing an amazingly awesome fruit! Win-win!

We are poor. Buying 120 plants (20 males & 100 females) is not a possibility. So growing from seed seems to be the only and most rewarding option for our needs.

I have only seen male plants advertised as "males" not a Botanica male or Askola male. This leaves us wondering if the female plant solely determines seed characteristics. That is, if I plant seeds taken from a "Golden Sweet" will the resulting seedlings resemble "Golden Sweet?" Again the assumption is that all males are simply males.

When we plant the seeds can we expect a 50/50 crop of males to females? In order to get at least 100 females we need to plant 200 seeds (this is assuming a 100% germination/ survival rate)

Then, from what I�ve been learning, wait 3 years to determine the gender of each plant before planting them in their final spot along the fence line in a 5 female 1 male pattern.

Does this make sense?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus