Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry Plant Help

Posted by soughtseven1035 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 17:06

Hi guys,
It is my first time growing Raspberries and I got a few stalks off of 2 year old plants. I transplanted them into my garden and around the home. I wanted to see which spot they grow best at.

Anyways, I've noticed that one half of my plants stalks have turned light brown and brittle. Does this mean they are dead? We have had a large amount of rain here recently, do you think they got too much rain?

I have corn fodder around all of the plants to keep the moisture in and the cold out. Please let me know what I did wrong. I thought I did everything right with planting time, mulch, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry Plant Help

Probably dead, but is the bark green inside? How long ago did you transplant them? Did they have leaves?

o

...I got a few stalks off of 2 year old plants...

How many roots came along with these stalks? Perhaps you meant that you dug up some canes, along with their roots, that had sprouted up some distance from the 2-year old plants.

Please clarify how you separated the transplants from the original plants.

o

1>No leaves
2>I just transplanted them a week ago
3>There is green bark inside, which is hopeful
4>I worded that wrong Larry,
I got several transplants that had healthy roots. I transplanted them into my garden and covered with too thick of corn fodder.
5>I didn't separate them. I just think I piled on the mulch too thick to cover from the snow, but I forgot to move it away once the sun came out. It should be good though now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here