Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trfanatic

Spraying peach and cherry tree

trfanatic
16 years ago

Hello all,

life has fast forwarded on me and my peach and cherry trees are flowering (the peach flowers are not yet open, the cherries are open). I did spray Dormant oil, Lime Sulphur and Fruit plus insecticide-fungicide on the peach as a dormant spray about a month ago. I also sprayed the cherry with Lime Sulphur at the same time.

I have not sprayed since, and like I said they are both flowering. Can someone let me know what I can spray with the flowers open? My "C-I-L Fruit spray calendar" recommends Fruit Plus and Diazinon from here on for the cherry treee and Fruit Plus, Ambush and Diazinon from here on for the peach tree.

Diazinon is discontinued as far as I know and I was going to replace it with Sevin.

Your advice is greatly appreciated,

Ravi

Comments (8)

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

Far from the expert here, but I didn't think you should spray anthing while they are in bloom, because that could affect the pollination. Also, have you had problems with specific pests in the past? Are you examining the trees? My state's extension office puts out a publication with tips and pointers on timing for pests and communications on problems with pests cited throughout the state. It serves both the commercial and the backyard orchardist, including spray recommendations for each. You may want to check if your state extension office has a similar service...

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: USU Integrated Pest Management Fruit Tree Advisories

• theaceofspades
    16 years ago

Spray Captan fungicide at full bloom and petal fall for Brown rot(fungus). Wash out the sprayer of Diazinon to spare the pollinating insects.

• Beeone
    16 years ago

Spray to treat an identified problem, not to follow a calendar or general care recommendation. If you don't have the problem, don't treat for it. With diseases, preventive measures may be advisable if the disease is present in your area, but don't just treat without identifying what you are treating for.

If you have an insect problem you need to treat while the trees are in bloom, spray late in the evening after the bees have gone to bed.

• conifers
    16 years ago

From working experience (no hort degree or any of that, just learned from the old timers)

While dormant in the fall: oil

While dormant in spring: first spray on all fruit trees: liquid sulphur...especially apple or if it is too warm outside (70F or above) only use liquid copper. Only the first application should be sulphur switching to copper from there on out.

Then as the tree was in full bloom, liquid copper but not as to blow off the flowers. This application is very important according to the old timers.

Then as needed but of course working for a tree/shrub/turf company, they want the customer on a 4-5 times per year spraying schedule.

Later during the growing season if you see insect activity, early in the morning spray a horticultural oil application again and continuing, as needed.

This company was an organic company. I'd rule out Sevin and all that other junk like Diazinon (sp?) if at all possible.

I'd also take the advice of the people above. Unless you are experiencing pest problems (pest = bug or disease) do nothing!!!!! Once it starts though, you'd be good to get on a spraying schedule. Fruit trees are not very forgiving.

Spray early in the morning when temps are cool or at night.

Dax

• austransplant
    16 years ago

To reiterate some points made above. Insectides should not be sprayed when trees are blooming, period (it's also illegal here in the US)! (I'd respectfully disagree with Beeone: when the tree is in bloom you should not spray with insecticide period, even at night; insecticides are designed to retain their lethal effect for quite a while and typically will remain extremely toxic to bees, which will alight on the flowers the next day and die.) This means that the combo-fruit tree sprays found in garden centers, which contain insectides as well as fungicides, should not be used when the trees are in bloom.

I looked up Fruit Plus on line. It is a combo-spray, made up of the insecticide Phosalone and the fungicide Ferbam. If you read the instructions carefully -- and you should -- you will see that it should not be used when trees are in bloom. The label will tell you exactly when you should use it.

I take it that the recommendation you mention was to use one of Fruit Plus, Ambush or Diazinon -- not all three at once!

Of course, whether you need to spray will depend on your conditions. Here in Maryland, for example, if we do not spray at petal fall our stone fruit and apples will all be destroyed by plum curculio and/or oriental fruit moth. But I have no idea whether these are a concern in Canada where you are. Call your local extension service (or its equivalent) and see what kind of pest pressures are typical of your area. You might well be lucky and not have to deal with the pest pressures we have down in the Mid-Atlantic. Why mess around with toxic chemicals when you don't have to?

• Beeone
    16 years ago

While it is best never to spray insecticide during bloom, there are situations where you have to--though for the home orchardist, it is probably rare. When this occurs, some insecticides are safe for bees when dry, so spraying late in the day will have the spray dry by the time the bees become active the next morning. Read the labels and choose your insecticides based on the problem at hand and the situation where you will be using them to avoid unintended consequences.

• jakejones
    16 years ago

Quote "Here in Maryland, for example, if we do not spray at petal fall our stone fruit and apples will all be destroyed by plum curculio and/or oriental fruit moth."

What do you recommend spraying with? --Thanks.

• austransplant
    15 years ago

The consensus here on Garden Web among those who use insecticide seems to be that the general purpose fruit tree insecticide-fungicide sprays commonly sold in garden stores are not particularly good against curculio (I'm not sure about oriental fruit moth). Imidan (aka Phosmet) is good, but is no long available for home use, though you might find old supplies in some farm supply stores or even as old stock in garden stores (and despite claims of a short 2 year life, it seems to last much longer). Otherwise, permethrin is recommended. Bonide makes a number of products for use on fruit trees with permethrin in them; you could search their website for products and labels. Unfortunately, permethrin is not labelled for use on apples (not sure about pears) after petal fall, which basically makes it useless for them, for this is when you should start spraying for these pests. (This is not to say it will not work on apples, but for some reason it is not allowed to be used on apples after petal fall.) I do believe it is labelled for use on stone fruit after petal fall.