Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree Troubleshooting

Posted by Patrice123 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:08

What is doing this to our young peach tree fruit every season and how do we fix it for next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree Troubleshooting

Without looking at the tree itself, I'd say it's either Bacterial Spot disease or Peach Leaf Curl Disease.
It would help, if you could post pictures of the tree and leaves, and tell us the variety and your location.

o

To me that does not look like peach....where's the fuzz? Maybe a nectarine? Could it be thrips? it looks similar to my problem with my nectarines.

o

Almost positive it is Thrip damage. See screen capture from UC Davis site showing Thrip damage on Peach and Nectarine.

o

We purchased it from the nursery and it said it was peach, but maybe not. Here is a photo of the tree itself. If it is thrips what is the solution?

o

Spinosad. I never tried this, but have read
A little on it. Sounds pretty safe.

o

Off the topic at hand but maybe helpful in the future. Local nurseries mostly are buying bare root trees from places like stark bros and potting them, letting them grow a bit then sell to you. This process increases the cost and the chances of getting a mislabeled tree. But you gain nothing from it.

So next time cut out the middleman and buy bare root from stark, ACN, Raintree, or others mentioned on this forum

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 10:52

Agree w/ cckw, a good reason to buy from a mail order nursery is the higher probability to receive the actual variety you purchased.

As Puggylover points out, your "peach" is actually some variety of nectarine. Peachlets have "fuzz" right out of the shuck.

This post was edited by olpea on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 10:56

o

First, yes, you have a Nectarine tree, not a Peach. As noted above, Peach fruit starts with fuzz and usually has a very pointed end when young.

Your best best is to spray a product like Spinosad when the fruit is just forming in the blossoms - you can see the small fruit inside the flowers. This is when the Thrip feeds and causes the scarring. Spraying once or twice is usually sufficient to take care of most of the damage.

Make sure you spray in the very late afternoon after all bee actively has ceased for the day as Spinosad is toxic to bees for about 3-4 hours after spraying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here