Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeycrisp on Bud 9

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 17:12

Anyone have this combo? Comments on it? I ordered 10 Bud 9 and my thinking is to graft them over to Honeycrisp (most of them), but i think I've read that there can be issues?

What can I expect with Bud 9 for maximum height?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeycrisp on Bud 9

Bud 9 grows about the same as M26. I have a number of grafts on Bud 9. On my soil (which tends towards the 'rich' side) apples grow 12-15 feet tall. There may be something new regarding HoneyCrisp and Bud 9, but the only thing I ever heard regarding HC is that it was a less vigorous variety and it was recommended to put it on a semi-dwarf rootstock. My HC (on M7 or M111 [don't remember which]) is about 20 to 25 feet tall. Hope this helps.

o
RE: Honeycrisp on Bud 9

My understanding is Bud 9 is a less vigorous rootstock than M26, but more vigorous that M27.

My experience is limited, as my few apple ees are too young still. I ordered two apple trees bare-root from Raintree this past year. One was HC on M26 and the other was Akane on M27. Both trees arrived the same size, height, caliper, etc. So assuming the trees were the same ago, I'd say HC is very low vigor.

My guess is HC on Bud9 will grow more like other varieties on M27. For fun I have also grafted a Bud9 rootstock to a HC scion. If you give me a few years I will let you know how it does :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here