Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Larger and juicier Jujube from Taiwan

Posted by tonytran 5A Omaha, NE (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 17:12

I hope the USDA collect this variety from Taiwan and distribute this variety after quarantine.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Taiwan Juicy Jujube

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Larger and juicier Jujube from Taiwan

Would it grow in your zone?

They only have ten trees of it so far, so imo they will probably try to keep it in Taiwan to use as an fruit export item.

Looks tasty, doesn't it? I have never had jujube fruit.

o

I gotta have that! I wonders what would be required to import jujube trees from Taiwan? Roger Meyer imports from china & korea, there must be a way

o

Bob,

Maybe we can email Roger Meyer and ask him to see if he can import this special variety from Taiwan and make it available on his jujube scionwoods list.

Tony

o

Good idea! I'll send him an email

o

It's not possible! Those things are huge. I doubt they will let go of any scion for decades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jujubes thrive at Kaohsiung research center

o

Don´t get mistaken - this is not your common chinese date but indian jujube (Ziziphus mauritiana). It is tropical and would not grow in your zones.

o

What is the lowest temp in F for Indian jujube to survive?

Tony

o

do these jujubes even do well in even zone 10+ weather?

o

Some of them are really huge, juicy ,sweet and also called milky sweet jujube in Taiwan. I grew up there and every winter that's the best treat!

And the weather in Kaohsiung city in Taiwan hardly goes below 60F druing winter.

I remember Roger said they can't survive the frost.

o

What is the flowering and production season for these jujubes?

o

Saw this thread about the juicy jujube from Taiwan, I wanted to make sure everyone knows that there are two different types of jujube. Simply expanding what harbin had mentioned earlier.

The one in this video, is the Indian Jujube (Zizyphus mauritiana Lam.). Growing up in Taiwan, that is one of the fruits we love to eat, super juicy, not very sweet, but refreshing to eat.

It is quite different from the Chinese Jujube (Ziziphus jujuba Mill.), which we eat mostly after they are ripened and dried to use as Chinese medicine ingredient. They are what most of the US gardeners are growing.

In Taiwan, we simply call the Indian Jujube, the GREEN JUJUBE. And the Chinese Jujube for medicinal purpose, the RED JUJUBE.

In Taiwan, we don't use them interchangeably, so don't want you to be disappointed buying any jujube tree and hoping somehow to get a super juicy fruit. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here