Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good source for 4+ year old blueberry plants

Posted by ltbee VA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 17:12

Hi, I am interested in purchasing more established plants as some places that I have ordered online sell rather small plants. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good source for 4+ year old blueberry plants

See link,

check Dave's Garden reviews before you order from anyplace...

Here is a link that might be useful: Finch Blubberries

o

You are going to pay triple the price for older blueberries.. Is it really worth it? I haven't looked at reviews but dimio blueberry farm seems to sell good mature plants...

Joe

o

Dimio does sell them,but from what I've read,good has not been included in some buyer's descriptions. Brady

o

www.berriesunlimited.com you will pay a premium for plants that old. But I've always gotten exactly what I ordered from them. They have a fairly good selection of blueberries.

o

Itbee,
It looks like your location is Virginia.Edible Landscaping is in Afton,VA.I not sure how far away it is,maybe save on shipping if it's not too far to drive there.
I bought some small Rabbiteyes and a Trentberry from them,but it looks like they have some plants in 3-5 gallon containers. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Landscaping

This post was edited by Bradybb on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 21:53

o

I'll second the Edible Landscaping recommendation. I haven't ordered any of their larger plants, but I was very pleased with the quart-size mulberry and figs that I bought last fall. They shipped quickly, and their packaging was first-rate.

Also, where did you buy the smaller plants that have disappointed you? I ask because I've had very good luck with the 2-year-old plants that I purchased from Simmons Plant Farm and Burnt Ridge Nursery last spring. At this point, the more vigorous varieties have reached 3' or so and are loaded with blossoms (from 12" to 15" at the time of planting).

o

Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely be going to Edible Landscaping this weekend. This is my first time planting blueberries and erroneously thought that getting a more mature plant would mean I would get blueberries this season, but upon reading other sections in this forum I realize that production will not be until next year either way. ;-)

o

Also check out Meadow Farms Nursery.
They will ship or you can go pick them up.

o

• Posted by DWD2 10a, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 3:44

Try Raintree:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/
or Burnt Ridge:
http://www.burntridgenursery.com/

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 13:25

Backyard Berry Plants has some nice large plants. Like Berries Unlimited, they aren't cheap, but they ship potted 2-3 gallon plants. I just received mine today and they range from 2-3 feet tall.

Here's a pic. Note the ruler standing on the right-most, which is a Chandler.

o

thank you bob! they have great varieties as well. I will be placing an order tomorrow. :-)

o

I have actually had better luck some of my younger plants than I did with the older ones I bought. Intuitively it seems the older plants would be bigger sooner but some I have bought took longer to adapt to their new home while the young plants just took off right away. Berries unlimited has been very good.

RM

o

I know there are lots of haters here but I purchased three very large Blueberry plants from Willis Orchard several years back. They were 4-5' plants and expensive but still less than I could find for comparable plants anywhere else. The blueberries were big and much better than store bought. I still managed to kill them due to neglect in their third year.

o

thank you bob! they have great varieties as well. I will be placing an order tomorrow. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here