Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltbee_gw

Good source for 4+ year old blueberry plants

ltbee
11 years ago

Hi, I am interested in purchasing more established plants as some places that I have ordered online sell rather small plants. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments (14)

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

See link,

check Dave's Garden reviews before you order from anyplace...

Here is a link that might be useful: Finch Blubberries

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

You are going to pay triple the price for older blueberries.. Is it really worth it? I haven't looked at reviews but dimio blueberry farm seems to sell good mature plants...

Joe

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Dimio does sell them,but from what I've read,good has not been included in some buyer's descriptions. Brady

• abz5b
    11 years ago

www.berriesunlimited.com you will pay a premium for plants that old. But I've always gotten exactly what I ordered from them. They have a fairly good selection of blueberries.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Itbee,
    It looks like your location is Virginia.Edible Landscaping is in Afton,VA.I not sure how far away it is,maybe save on shipping if it's not too far to drive there.
    I bought some small Rabbiteyes and a Trentberry from them,but it looks like they have some plants in 3-5 gallon containers. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Landscaping

This post was edited by Bradybb on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 21:53

• Ernie
    11 years ago

I'll second the Edible Landscaping recommendation. I haven't ordered any of their larger plants, but I was very pleased with the quart-size mulberry and figs that I bought last fall. They shipped quickly, and their packaging was first-rate.

Also, where did you buy the smaller plants that have disappointed you? I ask because I've had very good luck with the 2-year-old plants that I purchased from Simmons Plant Farm and Burnt Ridge Nursery last spring. At this point, the more vigorous varieties have reached 3' or so and are loaded with blossoms (from 12" to 15" at the time of planting).

• ltbee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely be going to Edible Landscaping this weekend. This is my first time planting blueberries and erroneously thought that getting a more mature plant would mean I would get blueberries this season, but upon reading other sections in this forum I realize that production will not be until next year either way. ;-)

• sjkly
    11 years ago

Also check out Meadow Farms Nursery.
    They will ship or you can go pick them up.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

Backyard Berry Plants has some nice large plants. Like Berries Unlimited, they aren't cheap, but they ship potted 2-3 gallon plants. I just received mine today and they range from 2-3 feet tall.

Here's a pic. Note the ruler standing on the right-most, which is a Chandler.

• ltbee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you bob! they have great varieties as well. I will be placing an order tomorrow. :-)

• riverman1
    11 years ago

I have actually had better luck some of my younger plants than I did with the older ones I bought. Intuitively it seems the older plants would be bigger sooner but some I have bought took longer to adapt to their new home while the young plants just took off right away. Berries unlimited has been very good.

RM

• thisisme
    11 years ago

I know there are lots of haters here but I purchased three very large Blueberry plants from Willis Orchard several years back. They were 4-5' plants and expensive but still less than I could find for comparable plants anywhere else. The blueberries were big and much better than store bought. I still managed to kill them due to neglect in their third year.

• ltbee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you bob! they have great varieties as well. I will be placing an order tomorrow. :-)