Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckydurazno

Green Skin peach

LuckyDurazno
10 years ago

My neighbor had a tree that produced delicious green skin when ripe peaches. Good size and excellent flavor.
The look like the picture but the ones I'm talking about are almost twice as big and are peaches instead of necatarines.
Does anyone know where I can find them?

Comments (6)

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

Had? Easiest is to get scion cuttings in winter from the neighbor and graft onto a topped one year old peach tree. It also assures you of getting the same fruit you remember.

RODDENBERRY HEIRLOOM WHITE A white-fleshed, low acid peach, ripe in June. This one comes true from seed that our friend Peggy gave us. This local peach may get attacked by borers, but will come back from the root (we also think it is less likely to be attacked than others, but we don't have enough data on it yet). This aromatic and flavorful beauty is famous locally and is a winner! From Sopchoppy Florida and flowers early, so we estimate about 450-550 chill hours. You might experiment with this one as far south as Gainesville. Ripens June. Self-pollinating. Found in Zone 8B. $29.99 3 gal (4-5ft).

Here is a link that might be useful: RODDENBERRY HEIRLOOM WHITE

• LuckyDurazno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks exactly like the pictures below.

• LuckyDurazno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other pic

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Belle of Georgia is white with a bit of green. There are many white-fleshed peaches that can be a bit green when ripe.

Scott

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Actually my White Heather peaches were completely green when ripe here but it's unlikely to show up anywhere that a serious hobbyist is not involved.

As I recall (in the murkiness of my physical memory) BofG is whiter than those photos, with a bit of red blush when ripe, but I generally agree with Scott that there are plenty of heirloom "whites" that could more accurately be called green peaches. Bet they don't get bothered as much by birds.

We could make more educated guesses if you told us when exactly the tree ripened its fruit last year and your general region and specific zone.

• HU-917372728
    6 months ago

A tiny sapling on its own roots was given to my boyfriend by a friend of his. We all live in the central & eastern part of the San Fernando Valley, LA County, CA, zone 9a&b. This friend says they are dwarf peaches, doesn't know the name, but has them springing up all over his yard all the time. I grew mine on its own roots for 3 years and this year It produced wonderful, light-green-skinned fruit with white, very juicy & flavorful flesh. Only now have we finally seen what the fruit is like and we love it. It's freestone & seems like a very old variety as it has clearly not been hybridized for extra sweetness. It has the traditional, not-overly-sweet sweetness of how peaches tasted when I was a kid, 60 years ago - and the skin is deliciously tart. It begins flowering in mid-Feb with beautiful, deep pink, double-petaled blossoms, but its fruit was not starting to ripen until mid-September, just 2 weeks ago! L-o-o-o-ng grow time but worth it. Anybody know the name?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio